Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: schneider super-symmar xl 150mm filter question

schneider super-symmar xl 150mm filter question

Im wondering if someone who owns this lens can help me out. I recently got an amazing deal on one of these and I am obviouslty quite excited about it. Outfitting it with 95mm filters is no cheap task. I was able to pick up 3 nos nikon filters for a good deal. The issue is that the filter actually touches the front element of the lens. They make contact before the threads grab so its not even close. The glass on the filters do appear to be very close the rear edge but without another 95mm filter on hand Im not sure if the issue is specific to these filters or if I may run into this with others as well. It occured to me that there may be a product that threads into the lens and essentially moved the treads further out but with such a wide angle lens I think this would be a poor solution.

Any help from someone who has put filters on this lens would be appreciated.
    Thanks much
    Travis

Re: schneider super-symmar xl 150mm filter question

Heliopan mounts their glass further forward then other filter manufacturers to eliminate this problem with the vast majority of lenses.

Thank you thats good to know. I guess that is what you get for an extra $200!

Quote Originally Posted by Torlief View Post
    Thank you thats good to know. I guess that is what you get for an extra $200!
    One of the things, better glass, better coatings, brass mounts, etc. all add up.

I use a Haida 150mm system, which is a lot like the LEE 150 filter system.
    The 95mm ring attaches to the lens which attaches to the filter holder, and the holder keeps filters a few mm away from the lens' surface.
    Also by going with a 150mm filter, any mechanical vignetting (all too easy with the 150XL) is greatly reduced or eliminated.
    Last edited by Ari; 29-Mar-2018 at 12:01.

Im sure thats all true but trying to buy 3-4 95mm filters really adds up quickly. Do you happen to know if B+W is built with the glass further foward?
    Thanks

Do or do not. There is no try.

Buy the cheapest rattiest 95mm filter you can find and take out the glass, then use the ring as a spacer for mounting your filters.

Yes I am considering a filter holder but having never used one I am partial to screw in filters. I suppose I could have a 95mm holder as well as a 67mm holder for my other two lens and consolidate filters. Square filters is just a world I have never explored so I have to do some research.
    Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Torlief View Post
    Im sure thats all true but trying to buy 3-4 95mm filters really adds up quickly. Do you happen to know if B+W is built with the glass further foward?
    Thanks
    No, they are not.

The spacer idea would be great because I already have 3 nice filters but Im concerned about vingetting with a 105 degree lens angle. But maybe I dont understand the physics. Would it just limit my movements or would it possibly vingette?
    Thanks again