Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Espon V850 and Better Scanning wet scan holder

Re: Espon V850 and Better Scanning wet scan holder

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    >>I will check this but I don't believe Vuescan has that as an option. <<

While it sounds like you have solved your issue, for future reference, Vuescan does have this setting although it uses slightly different wording compared to EpsonScan. This is how the scanner knows which of its two lenses to use.

For the Epson flatbeds, a piece of exposed and developed film with a cross-hatch pattern lightly scratched across it with a very fine/sharp needle can be a useful focus testing pattern. Run your test scans at 3200 ppi. The ripples along the edge of the scratch often provide the best detail to use for judgement. That way, you don't have to worry about whether you had your camera lens focused well and/or that you are choose an evaluation subject in the scene that was in the intended plan of focus (which seems might have been what tripped you up during your last test).

Doug
    That sounds like a plan. I was gonna buy a test target, but your method is a lot cheaper! What does Vuescan call it? Maybe I have it set wrong and dont know it.

Thanks for the help!

You are making sure to use "film with film holder" in the settings, correct?

Viewscan does not have that option to choose. Apparently there is a way to do that, that isn't labeled as such. One thing I did find out, is that there is a film scan guide bar that you put in the calibration area if you want to scan film directly off the scanner glass. You use it with 8x10 film, but it will work with any. This bar causes the scanner to focus on the scan glass and not above it. Also, if you choose scan transparencies it automatically uses the higher resolution camera which can give you the theoretical 6400dpi. If it is set to print it will use the "lower" res camera which gives you a max of 4800 dpi. At least that is what I read.

I do have some scans using the Betterscanning and Epson fluid mount that are very sharp. Just when I swapped out the scanner for the replacement that was sent to me I ran into the focus issues.

On the Input Tab next to the Mode option there is a drop down list.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 19.45.42.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	176582

Transparency should be selected when using a film holder including the Epson Wet Mount holder. This will select the high resolution lens and have a narrower scan area down the centre.
    Transparency 8x10 should be s elected when scanning direct on-top of the scanner glass. This will select the lower resolution lens and have a wider scan area.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Also, if you choose scan transparencies it automatically uses the higher resolution camera which can give you the theoretical 6400dpi.
    When you choose transparency it changes lenses. It changes to a longer focal length lens (which should have a narrow depth of field) that is focused slightly higher about the glass.

Both lens are wide angle lens with fixed focus AFAIK. The pixel density never changes, even when you change resolutions.
    Last edited by Ted Baker; 28-Mar-2018 at 14:46.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 21.59.38.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	176589 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 21.59.57.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	176590

This is from the V800 Service Manual

Name:	863AC52B-6D1C-4A11-9897-1DC1006D8AAD.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	176598

According to the V850 manual you put this plastic piece in calibration area and it simply imforms lens to FOCUS ON the glass and not above it. It makes no mention of a hi resoultion or low resolution lense being chosen. When I read that and the specs on what a transparency can be scanned at, I think you get hi res lens on scanner glass and above glass in a holder and they just change how much of the sensor is active on scanning based on whether or not you use the scan guide they give you with scanner.

Very interesting topic. Would be cool if we could get the actual functioning directly from Epson.

the service manual shows the two lens and how they are setup with the mirrors etc.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...e=11&term=warm

They are fixed focus according to the service manuals.

Well that settles that. They say high resolution not low though. So I would guess there should be similar performance as you just need a wider angle lens for greater coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Well that settles that. They say high resolution not low though. So I would guess there should be similar performance as you just need a wider angle lens for greater coverage.
    The pixel scanning size never actually changes, only the lens change, which gives a greater magnification, and also the pixel shift algorithm kicks in from 3200dpi or before.