Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange negatives

Re: Strange negatives

I recommend processing your own film. It’s easy and much cheaper. And yes develop color film is just as easy as developing b&w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I want to do that nut really don't know whete to stary. Color and black and white.

Darken a room, get a few trays and buy some chemicals. It's really not hard. There are countless websites and posts about which chemicals you can buy. For b&w, the choice of developers is huge, but virtually any developer will give presentable results. The same is true for any c41 kit out there. C41 in trays I would not recommend (although doubtlessly it can be done); get a processing drum and a roller base, or look for a second hand jobo processor. The investment will pay for itself in no time given the rates of lab development for sheet film.

We're these two sheets in the same holder? Was the holder in sunshine while partially covered?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesaz View Post
    We're these two sheets in the same holder? Was the holder in sunshine while partially covered?
    Same dark bag Purchased from freestyle photo. Loaded in same changing bag as other film sent to lab at same time. Used the dark bag from freestyle for each pair. 4 sheets came back fine the two bw came back all jacked up. I definitely know it was not on my end.

This is pure speculation: At some point, the box containing the exposed film may have been dropped, spilling the film out of the box and into the light. It would be interesting to know if other customers of that processing facility experienced similar problems, in the event that someone was carrying a large stack of boxes and fumbled them.

The filmbwas inside a dark film bag big enough for 5x7 film. Even if they took bag oit of box film would be ok. You would have to intentionally open bag outside of a dark room/film bag to screw up film. I have had another set of bw messed up with dirty chemicals leaving spots all over film. I am gonna start doing my own film as soon as I can.

It looks like a light leak while the film is in the film holder. Possible the holder was not seated in the camera properly, or if the sun was directly behind the slide opening and the slide was fully pulled out. I often cover the slide opening in bright daylight to avoid exposure from the slide opening. Some say that you should not pull the slide out all of the way and reverse from the white side to the black indicator on the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    The filmbwas inside a dark film bag big enough for 5x7 film. Even if they took bag oit of box film would be ok. You would have to intentionally open bag outside of a dark room/film bag to screw up film. I have had another set of bw messed up with dirty chemicals leaving spots all over film. I am gonna start doing my own film as soon as I can.
    I seriously doubt the lab opted to carry your film into their darkroom while it was still in the changing bag. I'm willing to bet the boxes were removed from the bag and subsequently accidentally dropped in a lit room.

How would they have gotten light on them still in the bag? The film was inside the bag inside a film mailer Unless the post office opened up for some stupid reason I don't seebhow unless the tech just had a brain fart.