Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ULF Tipping Point

Re: ULF Tipping Point

Quote Originally Posted by Matted View Post
    I am currently shooting (and loving) 4x5, however have been contemplating a jump to 8x10 but am thinking that it may make more sense to just skip right to 11x14. Decisions, decisions....
    I’d go to 8x10 for the reasons given 11x14 is a beast!

Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    Also consider if you want a digital or hybrid work flow. I have resisted 11x14 up to now because most flatbed scanners will only scan 8x10. If you want to digitize anything then you will need a large scanner or light table/digital camera set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I’d go to 8x10 for the reasons given 11x14 is a beast!
    Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. I currently do a hybrid workflow with 4x5 (renting an Imacon scanner which taps out at 4x5) but am about to begin experimenting with a light table and digital camera for "scanning". I was sure to acquire a light table that is at least 11x14 "just in case". I would also like to begin contact printing and some alternative processes, but I am not opposed to creating digital negatives for this purpose. My camera system for digital and 4x5 work is Arca-Swiss, so there are a multitude of ways I can get to 8x10 fairly painlessly, however I also know that Keith Canham can manufacture a "conversion kit" for Arcas to go 11x14, which is what got me thinking I may just skip 8x10 altogether.

I think if I choose my 8x10 lenses right I can keep the 11x14 door open for later if I'm still feeling the itch.

larger than 8x10, depends on image results intended. IMO, 8x10 and larger is ideal for contact prints specially when alternative image process is involved like PP, Carbon and similar. This is where ULF can have the most rational for film larger than 8x10.

Difficulties will be bulk, size, very limited optics selection, depth of focus, film sag, ULF camera support system, film and film holder availability, processing, print making and all related to finished print production.

It appears in recent times ULF and alternative process image making has become popular despite the difficulties with factors mentioned above.

What I'm curious about, has ULF become a reaction to the limited availability of traditional film photographic image production products or has ULF become a means to produce images with a different look based on alternative process image making while discounting the art-skill-craft of composition, silver gelatin printing control skills and all related to the art-craft of fine print making?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    What I'm curious about, has ULF become a reaction to the limited availability of traditional film photographic image production products or has ULF become a means to produce images with a different look based on alternative process image making while discounting the art-skill-craft of composition, silver gelatin printing control skills and all related to the art-craft of fine print making?
    Yes, yes, and no.

The second one can be true without 'discounting the art-skill-craft of composition, silver gelatin printing control skills and all related to the art-craft of fine print making'.

For my part, I don't have access to the equipment necessary for many things (e.g. no enlarger at all). That means that all silver gelatin printing that I do is limited to contact printing.

We're all just doing our best with our limited resources.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

When I first moved to 4x5, 35mm and 120 suddenly seemed ridiculously small format, and 4x5 seemed quite a large format.

When I moved from 4x5 to 8x10, 4x5 seemed a rather small format, and 8x10 felt like a truly large a format, as large as anyone should ever need to go.

When I began using 11x14, 8x10 became a "convenient" medium-size large format, and 11x14 was the pinnacle of large format work.

But if there's one prediction in life that always holds true, it must be this: "It's going to get worse..."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c34s.jpg  
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Totally agree that 95% of ULF cameras sit unused. Previous 11x14 was an Empire State View II, which I believe is on of the lightest and most compact 11x14s ever made. Limited front movements, but was actually easily able to backpack it for one day hikes with a modified rigid packframe and a case attached to it. Regret selling it.

Currently use an 11x14 Chamonix view with 3 lenses (200mm f/6.5 TAYLOR-HOBSON WA ANASTIGMAT, 355mm f/9 G-Claron, and a 508mm f/7 Caltar). Really want to be able to take short day hikes to specific destinations with the 11x14 on my back. Just got a GATOR padded case that barely (but it does) hold the 11x14, 1-2 holders, and 2 lenses in it. Now need to find a classic rigid frame to attach the case to. Ries tripod probably carried over the shoulder, but really hope to attach it to the side of the frame. Am 70 but can carry 40lbs on my back if I also have a hiking stick or two. Additionally carry one water bottle, 2 energy bars, and a large garbage bag (if it suddenly rains).

2 garbage bags one for the camera and one for your raincoat.

I'm 67 and not hiking anywhere with 40lbs. I am selling the same rig.

Today I am happy to breathe, sudden first time in 10 years a severe bronchitis attack. I'm a Honker.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Totally agree that 95% of ULF cameras sit unused. Previous 11x14 was an Empire State View II, which I believe is on of the lightest and most compact 11x14s ever made. Limited front movements, but was actually easily able to backpack it for one day hikes with a modified rigid packframe and a case attached to it. Regret selling it.

Currently use an 11x14 Chamonix view with 3 lenses (200mm f/6.5 TAYLOR-HOBSON WA ANASTIGMAT, 355mm f/9 G-Claron, and a 508mm f/7 Caltar). Really want to be able to take short day hikes to specific destinations with the 11x14 on my back. Just got a GATOR padded case that barely (but it does) hold the 11x14, 1-2 holders, and 2 lenses in it. Now need to find a classic rigid frame to attach the case to. Ries tripod probably carried over the shoulder, but really hope to attach it to the side of the frame. Am 70 but can carry 40lbs on my back if I also have a hiking stick or two. Additionally carry one water bottle, 2 energy bars, and a large garbage bag (if it suddenly rains).
    With my ULF cameras (8x20 Canham and 11x14 Deardorff) on the trail I have arrived at a primary conclusion. Packing ULF mandates scouting the shot to know precisely the lens, optimal lighting/time of day so you carry no more than you need in holders and lenses. Several times I have scouted with the 8x10 and carried my 11x14/8x20 viewing card and when I knew it was ULF time, I left my carbon fiber tripod at the location and returned with the ULF camera. That way I only carry the tripod one round trip. My Ries tripod for ULF has never been more than 30 yards from my truck because it is such a heavy beast. Other times where Freestylng for shots in a new area I just took a light pack, water, energy bars and no camera so I can cover a lot of country in a short period of time. But I always take my walking sticks for balance.

With my ULF cameras (8x20 Canham and 11x14 Deardorff) on the trail I have arrived at a primary conclusion. Packing ULF mandates scouting the shot to know precisely the lens, optimal lighting/time of day so you carry no more than you need in holders and lenses. Several times I have scouted with the 8x10 and carried my 11x14/8x20 viewing card and when I knew it was ULF time, I left my carbon fiber tripod at the location and returned with the ULF camera.
    +1 to all of this.

In fairness to saying that 95% of ULF sit unused at home; these days ULF film (and even chemistry) is expensive enough that one must discriminate much more than with regular film. Scouting locations are important. I always take my best shots of a scene on the 2nd or 3rd trip anyway. So the ULF only comes out when I've decided there's a good image possible. It takes longer, but the yield is better. Long hikes with the gear are no longer possible, so the weight and size (for me) is not a factor. Everything is in the truck.

Thanks everyone for responding to this thread. It’s had me take pause and reflect on what I’m seeking to achieve with ULF. I think first and format it will be head shot portraits at or close to 1:1. My sense is that will require me to go to at least 11x14. One question that comes to mind is how 11x14+ size glass plates handle for wet plate collodion? I’m wondering how easy they are to handle and pour etc.