Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chroma Camera

Re: Chroma Camera

Static can be a problem if you have a discharge (like a mini lighting strike) but the more pressing problem is dust. Static electricity attracts dust. That's why it is used to make dust filters. But you notmally don't want dust everywhere in a camera.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelmx5 View Post
    I'm not an expert on static electricity or its' effects on film so if you have experience of it, and working around it, I'd be more than happy to discuss it.
    Those who've used sheet film in dry, windy environments most certainly have experienced the plague of dust. I work around it by using a grounded copier toner vacuum cleaner with conductive hose/brush to clean film holders, loading them in as close to clean room conditions as possible, then carrying loaded holders into the field inside reclossable aluminized polyester anti-static bags. They don't come out of the bags until right before insertion into a camera for exposure.

I deal with dust in cameras by using the same vacuum to clean their interiors regularly. My view cameras are all metal or wood with metal fittings. They don't hold a static charge. Adams mentioned that, if static became a problem, it was sometimes necessary to run a wire from the camera to ground. I have absolutely no idea how one could deal with static in an acrylic camera. Laminate something like those aluminized mylar bags to continuously bleed off the inevitable charge? Just a wild idea. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Static can be a problem if you have a discharge (like a mini lighting strike) but the more pressing problem is dust. Static electricity attracts dust. That's why it is used to make dust filters. But you notmally don't want dust everywhere in a camera.
    There are spray solutions for acrylic to eliminate static problems. Any plastic supply house should have it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have dry dusty conditions to test my Chroma in unfortunately but from using the camera indoors and having it inside bags etc I haven't noticed an excessive amount of dust build up on either the internals or externals. There are numerous rough texture matt black adhesive vinyl light seals within the camera and at each end of the bellows so the risk of dust build up within the camera is limited. The rear film holder unit also contains the same light seals which should again reduce the risk.

Where I am, in Michigan, the relative humidity right now is 87% That's high; normal summer humidity is more like 70 to 75%
    In any case, static electricity is way, way down on my worry list.