Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Photoshop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Using Photoshop

I would like to know if there is a way that I can save all of the post processing I did so that I could reapply it to say a similar image without having to manually write down everything I did so I can then duplicate it exactly. I wonder if I could delete jus the image somehow and save the file with the layers/channels. Anyway, what I am trying to do I could do with recording an action at the beginning of the post-processing step all the way to the end, but is there a way to save all the steps done but not have a huge file? This file ended up being 14GB with all the layers. Started out as 1.92 GB file.

Re: Using Photoshop

What if I have already performed all the steps and now want to save them?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    What if I have already performed all the steps and now want to save them?
    Hello Steven,

You have to use non destructive adjustments: "Adjustment layers", this is very easy and extremly powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5oO6gkLVks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF5Yfgajqe0

Let me recommend something to you:

Take a magnifier and read every word in this book twice: https://web.archive.org/web/20180324...op+CS4&_sop=15

CS4 version book, so $3, and it has all you need from next versions. CS6 also includes adjustment layer to apply LUTs to an image, but this would come later, and you don't need a book to apply a LUT. In the future you may want (or not) more advanced books, but this one it's perfect to start with, IMHO.

In this book you will learn how to deal with layers, it will open your mind. You can work the shadows in an additional layer, the highligths in another layer, and then you may mix all to your taste with sliders. Non destructive adjustments ! this is the key thing.

In some 14h you may have done all exercises in the book, and you will understand the Pro photoshop process that will speed up your workflow while also adding a level of flexibility that one only can dream with if not being aware that this exists. Also I'd recommend that some 2 weeks later you repeat all exercises in the book. You invest some 20h in it, but if you manage digital images that's the most productive investment you can make. (Paintshop and GIMP are also good options, but not as popular in the pro segment).

Working with layers should be natural to you, then you will feel power in your hands, and it's easy!

You may also see disperse tutorials, but that book it's what worked with me, as it teaches the thing in an structured way.

Pere.

Ditto! All of my commercial work is archived with adjustment layers in place. If you do any adjustment such as curves, levels, brightness, etc. directly, there's no going back, readjusting or knowing precisely what you did. Drag is, every layer increases file size. Every time you add an adjustment layer, it comes with a mask. If you're not going to use that mask, you can delete it from the layer and that will help reduce file size.

Also, though, for now you could try holding down the Option (or alt) key before selecting the adjustment...eg. <Option> <Cmd><M> to bring up the Hue/Sat palette and that will open the dialog with your last used settings. From there, you can write down the settings and create an action per the suggestion above.

HTH,
    CB

As long as the location of the file stays consistent, Lightroom will keep a record of all your steps, and you can apply those steps to another image in Lightroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I would like to know if there is a way that I can save all of the post processing I did so that I could reapply it to say a similar image without having to manually write down everything I did so I can then duplicate it exactly. I wonder if I could delete jus the image somehow and save the file with the layers/channels. Anyway, what I am trying to do I could do with recording an action at the beginning of the post-processing step all the way to the end, but is there a way to save all the steps done but not have a huge file? This file ended up being 14GB with all the layers. Started out as 1.92 GB file.
    Steven - are you flattening at printing time and if so how large is your file you are sending to the printer??

In regards to your question... I am going on a limb here and against all PS teachings other than Dan Margulis.... I flatten every layer as I work through PS , never any need to go back to make adjustments... does this make me a bad person... I have always been a printer with the Move Forward only approach and never go back... Over the years I have become very fast with my workflow and find that making PS files for printing a pretty fast workflow.. This allows my file size to say at native and does not slow down my computer.. There may be good reasons for you keeping all these layers open, but I am not one who thinks there is.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I flatten every layer as I work through PS , never any need to go back to make adjustments...
    Nothing wrong in that way, if one knows very well what the final results has to be, and required edition is not conceptually complex. A good capture may require few clicks, and sometimes going beyond that it's only to worsen the image, this is well true.

Anyway if a more complex edition is wanted then layers are the way to go.

I can see the need for layers when working with a team on a complex Advertising type of image, where multiple images are merged into on complex subject...

I do not do this- Years ago I did multiple images the old fashion way with masking and enlargers.. very complex photo comp

but on a single image I always wonder why the multiple layers.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I can see the need for layers when working with a team on a complex Advertising type of image, where multiple images are merged into on complex subject...
    Bob, I find layers extremly useful for other situations, for example in a landscape we can adjust the sky and clouds in a layer and the mountains in another one, then we can mix both adjustments with the original image, so at the end we can apply to certain degree the each of the adjustments, so we can later balance one adjustment to the other.

Another example would be adjusting the shadow areas in one layer and the highlights/glares in another one, then when mixing layers we can balance the overall result, for sure that depending on how we leave the mids we would like to balance the shadows again...

Just using an adjustment layer to tune the curve in the sky and another one for the ground it's more than enough to belive in layers, it allows a great degree of flexibility that ends in better results, because all you made in each adjustment can be modified or balanced later when seen under the effect of the last adjustments.