Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scanning speed of V700 vs V850 using epson scan

scanning speed of V700 vs V850 using epson scan

Can anyone who has used both comment if the newer scanners are faster? I have a v700 that I have used hard for almost 10 years and while I have no complaints about quality, (I use it for quick proofing scans mostly anything to be printed large I'd do on an aztek or imacon) – it's slooowwww. sometimes I swear there's like a 30 sec *thinking* time after I hit scan before it actually starts whirring, and this is not the initial 'lamp warm up'.

Or anyone know of any amazing tricks to speed my trusty v700 up? clearing the cache or something?

I use espon scan only, can't stand silverfast. Thanks in advance! - C McCRTN

Re: scanning speed of V700 vs V850 using epson scan

I would not say the actual scan time is faster, what is faster is the initial startup time because the V800/850 used LED's for the light source which are more or less instant

Yes, the V850 has no warm up delay, if after after an scan the V700 also has the delay then it isn't the wamp up.

It has to be like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrGaDzPqhJo

Check to what kind of USB port you have conected it, it can be a low speed port for mouse and kbd... use other USB ports.

Try it with another desk PC or laptop.

Thanks Ian and Pere. I'm using a macbook pro with usb 3 ports. (13 inch, mid 2012)

It just hangs sometimes after hitting scan before it starts making the scan.
    Pere, I'm not at all sure what in that youtube video I was supposed to pay attention to? I know how to scan.
    I need it to be faster, and with no delayed wait after I click scan before it starts doing it's thing. Don't have another computer to try it with, and pretty sure my current one is no slouch. It has a 250 gb ssd and 16gb of ram.

I swear the scanner has slowed down over the years, not in the actual scan time but in the delay, or thinking mode after clicking scan, before it starts actually scanning. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it possible that updating my OS somewhere along the line slowed it down?

Hi Chester,

I have an Epson V750 and in the past year or so I noticed that I have to move the mouse after selecting preview or scan in EpsonScan before the scanner will start the scan. This behavior (starting the scan only after I move my mouse) does not seem to happen in SilverFast. I have not tried VueScan. Not sure why this happens, but maybe worth a try (moving the mouse) for you in your case...

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    I swear the scanner has slowed down over the years, not in the actual scan time but in the delay, or thinking mode after clicking scan, before it starts actually scanning. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it possible that updating my OS somewhere along the line slowed it down?

V700 Service manual here it says about warming time:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...e=11&term=warm

40 seconds max at 25ºC room temperature

65 seconds max at 5ºC room temperature

A successive scan should not delay much as the lamp is warm yet.

As it looks that this scanner has seen a heavy usage, I'm thinking in a possibility, if the lamp has faded perhaps it takes more time to reach a certain illumination level that's required.

I'm not sure about how the scanner stablishes the warming time, if it is done by an algorithm that makes a guess, or if a sensor is used, or if it reads the light arriving to the sensor, but:

"Scanner runs a calibration routine before scanning that will attempt to adjust to any fluctuations. That cannot substitute for less actual light but it does try to make the best of any given situation."

So it is possible that scanner uses that simple calibration (not the IT8 one) to check light level while lamp is warming.

Here there is the V700 service/repair manual, and the section about lamp replacement:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...?page=6#manual
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...page=59#manual

A flourescent lamp decreases its light power when new, then is more stable for several thousands of hours, and at one point light power falls a lot. It also can be dust and dirt inside, some also do clean mirrors etc at some point, if light level was read after the mirrors/lens (speculating) then because multiple surfaces it may have a share when all added.

The other possibility I guess possible is software, but you should try to borrow another computer to check that, and old XP from trash it would be perfect.

Note I say all that with only some DIY EPSON V repair, and more that repair, destructive hacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    "Scanner runs a calibration routine before scanning that will attempt to adjust to any fluctuations. That cannot substitute for less actual light but it does try to make the best of any given situation."
    The calibration happens as the CCD moves over into the little area occupied where the cut-outs are in the film holders are. If you cover that area by putting the film holder on back to front the scan takes for forever, as the CCD calibration get adjusted to the max.

You can also put a a piece a piece of film rebate there, and just put some large debris and each CCD pixel get adjusted as well, sometimes in a bad way such that your photo now has a mirror of the debris, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the link to the repair manual BTW!

The calibration happens as the CCD moves over into the little area occupied where the cut-outs are in the film holders are
    Do we know what the calibration is looking for Ted ?

To adjust the exposure time and gain to bring all the pixel values up to maximum for the clear glass, or at least close with a sensible but equal margin against that limit. i.e. a consistent white or at least close for the clear calibration area. Any light falloff as well can be compensated too, (these use two two wide angle lens to focus on the CCD).

AFAIK this factor is used before any additional exposure adjustment is made.

Note, these are deductions based on the technology and some things you can measure, in the absence of details from the manufacturer.

This would not compensate properly for any spectral shift in the light source, but that may not happen anyway.

Thanks Daniel, I will try moving the mouse.

Pere, wow that is much more in-depth than the Youtube link from before! I know that drum scanner bulbs to need to be replaced periodically so that would make sense, but it looks like the directions don't tell you about replacing the bulbs, only removing them. I've changed the battery in my iphone but this looks several notches beyond that...Thanks for providing..Did you ever change the bulb successfully in yours?

Ted, Yes, I've experienced this when I forget to put on the film area guide (or put it in backwards) (most of what i'm scanning is 5x7 right on the glass). This is not what's causing my slowdown I am pretty sure. It's not consistent. Lately I've been scanning a ton of 35mm strips with the holders. guess I just need to get a Pakon or other such proper tool for the job. Oh Well, prob looks like it's not worth dropping a grand just to eliminate the lamp warm up time at the beginning.