Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tight Focusing Rails on Zone VI 4x5 Wista Version

Tight Focusing Rails on Zone VI 4x5 Wista Version

I have recently bought a Zone VI 4x5 that was made by Wista. The camera is basically a Wista 45dx with a Zone VI branding on it. The only problem with the camera is that the focusing sticky/jumpy and tight after the first inch or so. It looks like a previous owner waxed the rails. I scraped the wax off hoping it would free up some room in the rails, but it has made the focusing slightly worse. I was wondering what my options are for getting the camera to focus smoothly.

Thank you!
    - Kevin

Re: Tight Focusing Rails on Zone VI 4x5 Wista Version

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsonk98 View Post
    I have recently bought a Zone VI 4x5 that was made by Wista. The camera is basically a Wista 45dx with a Zone VI branding on it. The only problem with the camera is that the focusing sticky/jumpy and tight after the first inch or so. It looks like a previous owner waxed the rails. I scraped the wax off hoping it would free up some room in the rails, but it has made the focusing slightly worse. I was wondering what my options are for getting the camera to focus smoothly.

Thank you!
    - Kevin
    Factory service for Wista is Precision, Bob Watkins, in Skokie, IL. He can solve the problem. Call him.

Photographer

Before sending the camera off for a repair it probably doesn’t need, make sure the pinon gears are engaging the racks in the same place on both sides. Rack the front all the way out until its disengages, the re-engage it carefully to make sure both sides contact the pinons simultaneously.
    Keith Pitman

Ditto on what Keith wrote. My Nagaoka did the same thing when I got it and doing that fixed it.
    Ethan

I concur. The focusing has likely jumped a tooth on one side. The Wista DX is not very hard to work on in this respect, so give it a try yourself before sending it in for an expensive repair. There's really not much complicated in the focusing mechanism: a rack-and-pinion gear system and a wooden bed that slides inside another. Finding the problem shouldn't be too hard if you're even a little bit mechanically inclined.

Best,

Doremus

Thanks Keith,
    When you say disengage, do you mean have the rail come off of the camera completely? There is a stopper there which makes sure the rail doesn't fall off so I would have to remove that first. Is there a way to tell that this is the problem before taking the camera apart?
    -Kevin

Thanks Keith,
    When you say disengage, do you mean have the rail come off of the camera completely? There is a stopper there which makes sure the rail doesn't fall off so I would have to remove that first. Is there a way to tell that this is the problem before taking the camera apart?
    -Kevin
    Call the service center.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Call the service center.
    I can't seem to find his number by searching on google or the wista website. How can I find the phone number?

I can't seem to find his number by searching on google or the wista website. How can I find the phone number?
    Just ask on the forum how to reach Bob Watkins.
    Or search Google fo4 Bob Watkins Precision.

Thanks Keith,
    -Kevin
    He is correct remove the screw.
    The problem is the rear cross piece. You should see rub marks where it needed to be sanded down.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net