Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lensboards with offset holes?

lensboards with offset holes?

I received my Fuji 250/6.3 yesterday and it is set on one of those offset lensboards. The lens is fixed below the middle of the board. It is a Nikon board, but this fits great in my Wista SP45.

Now I do not understand why they would do such a thing. If I look at the optical axis it goes through the middle of the board, middle of the bellows and so on to the middle of the film. So putting the lens what looks like 20mm lowers means I have to use always shift, even if I don't need any. And if I need shift, then it is always up (when photographing buildings) and thus with such I board I run out of shift even faster than my camera can provide. The 135 came also on such a board but I had one with a central hole spare so I could change it. Now I have to look for a suitable board and they are not that easy to find around here.

So what is the reasoning behind it? I cannot find a good reason.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Re: lensboards with offset holes?

There are some camera's made that have very little fall (drop) of the front standard, with the hole lower on the board would give just that much more fall. Linhof Techna is one of them, and Technica boards are the most common.

The offset design is a function of the original camera with which it was used.
    That optical axis was offset, requiring an offset of the lens mounting hole.

Further stupidity lies in the fact that the board is not symmetrical.
    You cannot just mount it upside down to move the offset above the front standard center.

I think it was an absolutely stupid design... but nobody asked me.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

OK, so this is a board that does fit the Wista but was not intended to be used with a Wista. So I'll have to go hunting for another lens board.

Yes Leigh, I agree, stupid design.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Matt Alexander

I've got a similar offset board on my homebrew 4x5 for my 90mm - the bellows are compressed enough at inf that they don't allow for much movement. Depending on which of the the 4 orientations I install the board, I get either front rise/fall or Rt/Lf shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    OK, so this is a board that does fit the Wista but was not intended to be used with a Wista. So I'll have to go hunting for another lens board.

Yes Leigh, I agree, stupid design.
    The Wista used the same design as the Tech board you have, a very popular design. You can still use, it just have to use a little rise with it to center the lens.There is after market Tech boards that have the hole centered.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    The Wista used the same design as the Tech board you have, a very popular design. You can still use, it just have to use a little rise with it to center the lens.There is after market Tech boards that have the hole centered.
    I am glad you brought that up, Michael. No need to buy another board with centered hole.

FWIW, the Super Technika has plenty of front drop. Its offset is to accommodate the front mechanisms. It is not stupid considering the overall design.

So, OP - to emphasize - you do not need a new board.
    Best of luck, enjoy!

Thanks Jac.

I have a 5x7 wood Canham, with Canham's lens boards which will go in both rightside and upside down. With my smaller diameter lenses, I have deliberately placed the holes off-center to benefit me on my scenic pictures, most of which are near-far compositions. The offset is sufficiently small that I can center my lens if this is required. To me this offset is advantageous.
    Best wishes --- Allen

Quote Originally Posted by malexand View Post
    Depending on which of the the 4 orientations I install the board, I get either front rise/fall or Rt/Lf shift.
    That does not work with a properly designed front standard. Those have bevels on the two lower corners to match the lensboard, preventing alternate installation orientation.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.