Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Navy Retirement Trip

Post Navy Retirement Trip

Since January of 1999, I’ve served in the US Navy and after almost 20 years, this November I’ll have a retirement ceremony and will start terminal leave. My hope is to do a west coast swing as a trip heading eastward to my new location near Norman, OK. With that said, my wife and I are expecting our 2nd daughter in June so she and the newborn and possibly my firstborn will fly out while I do the trip.

I know it’s a bit early but I’d like to get a few ideas in possible places to photograph, stay for a bit, meet fellow LFPs for coffee or lunch and other sundry things. For me, this trip will close out my time in the Navy and help open a new chapter in my life quite possibly as a full time photographer.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Mostly though, I’d enjoy meeting other photographers even if it’s just to share coffee or a beer along the trip.

V/R
    Dave

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Post Navy Retirement Trip

Sure - be glad to meet with you for a coffee or a beer. Send me an email when you have firm dates and we will hook up.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Sure - be glad to meet with you for a coffee or a beer. Send me an email when you have firm dates and we will hook up.

Thomas
    Thank you Thomas. I’ll send you my email shortly.

R/
    Dave

Dave congratulations, on retirement and your new baby to be, and thanks for the your service in the Armed forces. If you have a schedule where you will be I'd like to join you depending on how my wife is doing.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Dave congratulations, on retirement and your new baby to be, and thanks for the your service in the Armed forces. If you have a schedule where you will be I'd like to join you depending on how my wife is doing.

Mike
    Thank Mike. Once I figure a route and departure I’ll let you know. My hope is to go leave from out of here and head north through the 395 corridor. After that, I’m pretty open to suggestions for places to go.

R/
    Dave

Slowly but surely I am contemplating a route out of here. So far it includes stopping at Lee Vining for a night and photographing Mono Lake then onto Lake Tahoe and out the Sebastopol for a night at a friend's home. The following day, see the Redwoods and hopefully up to the Portland area. After that, possibly stopping by Mt. Rainier and then out towards Boise. From there, Yellowstone for a few days, down to Cheyenne for a night. My hope is to make it to Manitou Springs for a night and finally hitting Oklahoma the next day. I am hoping to have this about a 10+ day trip out and around. I just need to save some funds for film and other things.

Just wondering if there are any spots in between the places I mentioned for suggestions to stop at? I am not completely tied to the timing per se, but I don't want to venture too far off the route.

R/
    Dave

Until June, I'll be in and out of Humboldt County -- mostly out. So let me know if you come thru in June or later!

While the highway is away from the coast often, the drive up the Oregon Coast is great...slow, though.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Dave, congratulations! You can stay with June and I in Vancouver if you wish. We have plenty of room. I can meet you at Vaughn's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Until June, I'll be in and out of Humboldt County -- mostly out. So let me know if you come thru in June or later!

While the highway is away from the coast often, the drive up the Oregon Coast is great...slow, though.
    Thank you Vaughn. My trip will be start around the middle of November. I would enjoy a trip along the Oregon coast. I’ve never been there. This trip will be one of places I haven’t had a chance to go to because of time. My hope is to use any terminal leave before starting a new job/career. I’ll know solid dates here around August timeframe.

R/
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Dave, congratulations! You can stay with June and I in Vancouver if you wish. We have plenty of room. I can meet you at Vaughn's as well.
    Thanks Jim. I was hoping I could stay a night or two with you during my trip. I’ll message you later some details.

R/
    Dave