Thread: Made two lf cameras today...sort of...

Made two lf cameras today...sort of...

I made a 11x11 camera and a 5x14 camera...kind of. I modified a couple 11x14 metal darkslides. One so that I can get two 5x14 images on a single 11x14 sheet of film, and another metal darkslide to get an 11x11 image on 11x14. Of course my Chamonix 11x14 is nice to have along, too.

I like seeing in the 5x14 format, and it doubles my film stock on hand! Actual image size is 5 x 13.625. I also enjoy working with the square -- I learned to see that way in my first years of photography using a Rolleiflex. I also happen to have 40+ sheets of 11x14 Efke100IR film that is fogged at one end -- perfectly usable though as 11x11!! (actual image size will be 10.5 x 10.5).

I happened to have a couple metal "Unbreakable" 11x14 darkslides I bought new from Calumet years ago. I used a 6" coping saw and Stanley coping saw blades (20 TPI). Scribed the line on the black darkslide -- the silver line was easy to follow. I cut on or biased outward along the line, and finished up with a file. After cutting with the saw, I drew a pencil line -- and filed the darkslide to the edge of the line.

I rounded all the corners with the file and used a Sharpie to blacked all the cut edges. I like the metal slides as I have broken the others out in the field and in my pack. These I can pound flat if needed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11x14Slides.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Re: Made two lf cameras today...sort of...

Lesson learned

Cool!

Vaughn, why carry all that extra weight for a smaller negative? I'll just shoot 11x14! Luis

I kinda see the point of the 5x14 one as you could fit 2 images on one sheet of film but I see no point in the 11x11 your still using the whole cheer of film. Why not just crop later?
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    I kinda see the point of the 5x14 one as you could fit 2 images on one sheet of film but I see no point in the 11x11 your still using the whole cheer of film. Why not just crop later?
    I print showing the film rebate (platinum and carbon printing) -- using the whole sheet would not give a rebate on one side. I also can use those 40 sheets of film that is too fogged on one end for a full 11x14 image -- 11x12.5 would be the biggest possible, and that is not a pleasing format to me (more squat that 4x5). AND, I have a nice 3x14 area of film I can handle without worrying about getting finger prints on the image area! BONUS!!

I know, Lius -- but sometimes I like to go small...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

To use with my 'many' cameras (11x11, 5x14, and 11x14), I remounted my E.Suter Basle Aplanat B No.6 16x13 onto a makeshift, but solid Sinar board. It is a 450mm lens and I have a set of waterhouse stops for it...a last minute decision to take it with me. The lens is about 5" long and the main part of the barrel is about 3" in dia.

I had the lensboard on hand -- made from a piece of white 8-ply rag matboard that is dry-mounted to a piece of 4-ply solid black matboard. Hole cut with a 6" coping saw (blade same 20teeth/in). Wood screws screwed into the matboard -- solid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LensMount2.jpg   LensMount1.jpg