Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large scans with Vuescan 4GB+ bigtiff?

Large scans with Vuescan 4GB+ bigtiff?

Vuescan doesn't support BigTIFF (sometimes called 64bit tiff), I understand from Ed Hamrick there is no plans to do so.

Any clear ideas on how to get around this limitation?, I like to use vuescan to do raw scanning with my flatbed, and do everything outside externally INCLUDING cropping.

Re: Large scans with Vuescan 4GB+ bigtiff?

Hi Ted,

What are you scanning and what sort of flatbed do you have that is generating files bigger than 4 GB? I ask, because I realized at one point that I was getting bigger files than the scanning resolution really justified. I.e., my Epson 750 was not really giving me more information beyond 2400 dpi. That said, the solution is easy, if slow. You scan the image in two (or more) overlapping passes, then stitch these together. PTGui will do it if you do not want to mess with Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Hi Ted,

What are you scanning and what sort of flatbed do you have that is generating files bigger than 4 GB?
    The entire area of the flatbed with 35mm,120 and 4x5 using a Epson 4990, I have written my own software do the rest including the cropping, so I just want to press the button and get a file out the other end...

I have thought of multiple scans but you loose the raw scanning, which is unfortunately not ideal. I am actually surprised it doesn't support this aspect properly, its internally temporary files aren't limited in this way.
    Last edited by Ted Baker; 19-Mar-2018 at 15:06.

So I made a scan that was like 5.5 GB and saved it as a dng file with vue scan (not a raw) I tried to open it in ps, but ps couldn't read it. What is the max size of camera raw in ps? I wonder since I created the file and saved it, if you could then use a program to convert the dng file back to tif. I was reading on one site, I believe Colorfast who does the color raw and color neg plug in for ps, that you can take the dng created by vue scan and then convert it back to tif so that you can get the linear information. Anyway, if you can convert it back after you save (since it is a tif dng file) you could then create files bigger than 4gb.

As a side note fwiw, I use an epson v850 and the difference in scanning 4x5 at 2400 dpi and 4000 dpi is night and day. I use the better scanning setup for wet scan with Kami fluid. Just made the comparisons from scans I did yesterday. That file is approximately 1.8 or so GB in size. My 2400 dpi are 660 MB files. I also turned off the anti-aliasing feature. Want to rescan the one file at 2400 dpi with no AA, but do not think it can make up the difference as it really is night and day. Going above that will start generating files that could exceed the 4GB limitation, which would defeat my purposes as I use the raw files for post-processing. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    So I made a scan that was like 5.5 GB and saved it as a dng file with vue scan (not a raw) I tried to open it in ps, but ps couldn't read it. What is the max size of camera raw in ps?
    I have not tried the vuescan DNG, the data inside is absolutely identical (except for the useless meta data), so if that works then problem solved! Are you sure however the file was 5.5GB? When you try that with a raw tiff in vuescan it doesn't crash it just saves it as smaller file as if nothing happened... A bit cheeky. I don't have my scanner available so will need to wait a bit before I can test it.

One of tools I have written, is designed to take a full flat bed image, and auto crop everything, a bit like vuescan is supposed too but doesn't quite do properly... But then I ran into problems with colour scans because the vuescan can't save the file.

Yep, It was a scan at like 6000 dpi. I might still have it in my trash bin on my mac that I can check out this weekend to double check, but I am pretty sure. I believe it since my 4000 dpi scan gives me 1.75 GB.

Yes, the data is identical except all the Vuescan conversions and such are there as well. Ie, the file is not a linear file anymore which is what the raw file is, no type of processing in the least. At least that is the way I understand it. Let us know how the dng file to tiff works or if you just use the dng file.

Yep, It was a scan at like 6000 dpi. I might still have it in my trash bin on my mac that I can check out this weekend to double check, but I am pretty sure. I believe it since my 4000 dpi scan gives me 1.75 GB.

Yes, the data is identical except all the Vuescan conversions and such are there as well. Ie, the file is not a linear file anymore which is what the raw file is, no type of processing in the least. At least that is the way I understand it. Let us know how the dng file to tiff works or if you just use the dng file.
    That's excellent if that is the case, problem solved. The data is identical they are both linear, and no color matrix has been applied, it just the way different programs interpret the meta data or make assumptions. For example tiff is assumed to have a gamma of 0.454545 as there is no mechanism to say otherwise where as DNG does have such a mechanism. This is why they often look different depending on the program used to open them, and effectively they are different if your software treats them differently.

Have you used the colorneg plug in from colorperfect? I am playing with the demo, so interesting they say only to use the raw tiff file. I just started playing with it so, I don't know that much, but if it is as good as some say, it might be worth not letting vuescan do the inversion.

Have you used the colorneg plug in from colorperfect? I am playing with the demo, so interesting they say only to use the raw tiff file. I just started playing with it so, I don't know that much, but if it is as good as some say, it might be worth not letting vuescan do the inversion.
    Yes, I used the papers they published as a starting point for my own efforts. At least I understand how it works, and I think it is pretty good, as opposed to trying to guess how it works...
    I use it as one of my yard stick or bar to jump over. Though I think I have settled on the DPX/Cineon algorithm/approach.

The reason you need the raw linear file, is in order to make the necessary calculations the file either needs to be linear or you need a way to convert to that form. The calculations would be meaningless otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    Yes, I used the papers they published as a starting point for my own efforts. At least I understand how it works, and I think it is pretty good, as opposed to trying to guess how it works...
    I use it as one of my yard stick or bar to jump over. Though I think I have settled on the DPX/Cineon algorithm/approach.

The reason you need the raw linear file, is in order to make the necessary calculations the file either needs to be linear or you need a way to convert to that form. The calculations would be meaningless otherwise.
    Ahh, I am playing with it now, and it seems to work. Colors are definitely more saturated initially over using vuescan and ps to do conversion. I will post some examples of what I have been doing in learning the v850. I have been using vuescan for many years and like it overall.

I will check out method you describe you prefer.