Thread: Any thoughts on how to make Sichel Studio Camera usable?

Any thoughts on how to make Sichel Studio Camera usable?

This studio camera does not have a back, but i think the removable plate holder(?) is 10 x 10 i believe. Any idea how it would have been originally configured? it has 36" bellows and Taylor-Hobson Cooke Aviar Anastigmat Series IIIB f6 lens

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2470.JPG   IMG_2471.JPG   IMG_2472.JPG   IMG_2473.JPG  

Re: Any thoughts on how to make Sichel Studio Camera usable?

sorry about the direction of a couple of those pics.
    here are some more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2474.JPG   IMG_2475.JPG   IMG_2478.JPG   IMG_2481.JPG  

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

It's crying out for a wet plate back, though it's easier to adapt a conventional 8x10 film back and use converted 8x10 film holders as wet plate holders, with the caveat that you can only go up to 7x9 inches. That would also give you the option of using film.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

How was this item (see picture) used?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2473.JPG  

These graphic arts/process cameras are well built but have few movements.

Your last image shows the back! This looks like it held a GG frame, which could be removed to hold a single plate holder. Or the plate holders could been in a large frame- like the photo.

This is a common design for normal big cameras in the 19th century and for fixed cameras in the 20th century. This was the commonest design for sliding box cameras of the 1850's.

The square format system is used where there is place to install the glass plate horizontal or vertically in the holder.

I include a couple of examples of these types.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    This studio camera does not have a back, but i think the removable plate holder(?) is 10 x 10 i believe. Any idea how it would have been originally configured? it has 36" bellows and Taylor-Hobson Cooke Aviar Anastigmat Series IIIB f6 lens

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    How was this item (see picture) used?
    I believe and my opinion is this is an enlarging/enlarger camera and the "holder" is actually the "negative" (plate) holder that was intended to be enlarged. The open back was meant to have a light source connected to it which is why the plate holder is inserted in front of the back opening. 1st the light source then 2nd the negative plate to be enlarged 3rd the bellows/lens for focusing the negative and sized by moving entire unit towards or away from paper/easel.

Perhaps!

There was a huge variety of these sorts of cameras, many with dual or multi functions. The rear insert does look it could hold a glass plate, but 10x10" is hardly a standard plate dimension.
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 19-Mar-2018 at 13:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    I believe and my opinion is this is an enlarging/enlarger camera and the "holder" is actually the "negative" (plate) holder that was intended to be enlarged. The open back was meant to have a light source connected to it which is why the plate holder is inserted in front of the back opening. 1st the light source then 2nd the negative plate to be enlarged 3rd the bellows/lens for focusing the negative and sized by moving entire unit towards or away from paper/easel.
    Louis, the thought crossed my mind too that it was an enlarger. Some google search did show this company did make enlargers too.
    Does the lens look like one that would be used in the 1920-1930s in Canada? I think that is where I got it about 20 years ago.