Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1940's WWII Navy Darkroom Restoration

Robert Bowring

Re: 1940's WWII Navy Darkroom Restoration

Thanks Michael. I agree that Sloss is a great place for B+W. The nice thing is that you can just wander around the place and take your time. Been to Carliles Barbecue. Great food. I have not heard of Tannehill Iron Works but will check it out this fall. Will be going to Barber Vintage Motorcycle week end. I highly recommend the Barber Motorcycle Museum to anyone who will be in the Birmingham area. It may be the best motorcycle museum in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bowring View Post
    Thanks Michael. I agree that Sloss is a great place for B+W. The nice thing is that you can just wander around the place and take your time. Been to Carliles Barbecue. Great food. I have not heard of Tannehill Iron Works but will check it out this fall. Will be going to Barber Vintage Motorcycle week end. I highly recommend the Barber Motorcycle Museum to anyone who will be in the Birmingham area. It may be the best motorcycle museum in the world.
    Barber is on my list. It sure looks good. I'm a 50 year fan of Road America.

I last saw The National before it burned. http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk/

A quick search shows Anamosa also calls their nice museum The National. http://www.nationalmcmuseum.org/

Perhaps you knew Ruth and Morrie. I was good friends with them and knew the son. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/lega...ry-gauger.html

Robert Bowring

Been to the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham England right after the reopening after the fire. Been to road America many times. Great track. Never been to Anamosa but it is on my list. Loved Morrie and Ruth's place. It was a real motorcycle shop. It should have been put in the Smithsonian. The new Morrie's Place run by Ed Zender is a really nice place too. He is a great guy but I have heard he has some health issues.

Michael, wonderful project your are engaged with at the USS Alabama. I live in Mobile and will have to revisit the Alabama so I can see what the darkroom looks like. I might need to contact the curator. Battleship Park has the USS Drum submarine and quite of number of aircraft as you mentioned.

Pat...The curator and staff are doing a great job! With his small group and some volunteers, they are in a constant restoration process! Stop and see the battle bridge, navigation bridge, and chart house (which I haven't seen yet, but I know has been restored.) You may know this, but every two months the Living History Crew put on demonstrations with planes "attacking" the ship...and the deck guns (gas operated) popping away at the oncoming aircraft. It is quite a show! I am working in Western Michigan at present...go eat at Felix's for me! :-)

Alan, I wish I knew what your father knew! That is the one problem. I would love to get the story from a veteran. Mike

That's awesome. My Dad was a Pharmacist Mate, Navy Corpsman in WWII. He wasn't on battleships, he was a Seabee. When he was in college at the University of Iowa, the college of pharmacy compounded everything for the hospitals and clinics. I have an old newspaper clipping of my Dad, white lab coat and tie mixing a huge batch of Xray developer, late 1930s. I still have his Ace hard rubber trays he bought in the late 40s.
    What a great thing for you to have worked on. Well done!
    Best Regards Mike

I stopped by LeClaire, Iowa just before i went home for Christmas from Michigan...I went to the "American Pickers'" shop and left word thinking they might know someone with some of the photo items we need. So I went there and to the Buffalo Bill Museum. I didn't see TOO much of Iowa before turning East for home...but I made it across the river!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Fuller View Post
    Pat...The curator and staff are doing a great job! With his small group and some volunteers, they are in a constant restoration process! Stop and see the battle bridge, navigation bridge, and chart house (which I haven't seen yet, but I know has been restored.) You may know this, but every two months the Living History Crew put on demonstrations with planes "attacking" the ship...and the deck guns (gas operated) popping away at the oncoming aircraft. It is quite a show! I am working in Western Michigan at present...go eat at Felix's for me! :-)
    I'll have to find out the schedule of the air attack on the ship and try to make it over for one. Funny you said go eat a Felix's, the company I work for, primarily in the maritime industry, owns four restaurants and Felix's is one of them. Sunset is a great time for dining there.

I'm glad to know this restoration is taking place. At least I know it actually happens somewhere. Meanwhile, the USS NC sits there in its mud wallow in Wilmington as the never-ending project. Lots of talk, but as for actual work, I think they might bring in a new toothpick or piece of tin foil every week or two to add to it. I believe the Pisa Tower got done quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Fuller View Post