Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did Hopf and Satin Snow do differently during ground glass production?

Re: What did Hopf and Satin Snow do differently during ground glass production?

I know somebody who used to take existing gg from mf and lf camera’s and would polish the ground side with toothpaste! Ended up with remarkably good gg screens!
    But only with ground glass screens, not plastic ones!

That's why they charge the big bucks! Unfortunately, knowledge and technique costs. I've bought several GG's from Hopf up to 11x14 and they're great! L

Quik/EZ way (with a slight hot spot) is to spray clear glass with window frosting spray (from the home store spray paint dept)... It is slightly delicate, but on the inside of the camera, nothing should scrape it...

Light, even, two layer application is fine...

Steve K

I'm fairly sure there's a lot of people posting in this thread who didn't actually read the topic starter carefully.

I've already made 2 screens using 2 different methods, one of which works acceptably well. I'm not looking for basic info about how to make a ground glass or significantly unusual methods of making a ground glass substitute.

I'm asking if anyone knows how either of two well-regarded screens were made in hopes that the info would provide helpful leads for further experimentation with making more screens for myself.

theres a video in this thread you may find helpful...

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/looking-for-thick-ground-glass.157982/

ive made gg screens using wet dry paper from autobody supply stores and an orbital sander.

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    [...] I'm asking if anyone knows how either of two well-regarded screens were made in hopes that the info would provide helpful leads for further experimentation with making more screens for myself.
    Oh, the Chinese method of R&D - reverse engineering. Ask them!
    OTOH, innovation is hard word. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Oh, the Chinese method of R&D - reverse engineering. Ask them!
    OTOH, innovation is hard word. Best of luck.
    Isn't trying to make good things by yourself in the best spirit of LF photography?

I can't answer what Satin Snow did or anyone else for that matter but I can tell you starting with the 5 micron is too fine and takes too long. I made a number of them and I had good results starting with 25 micron then moving down (I can't remember if it's ??) then down to 5. On one I did go to 3.

My advice is to get some coarser powder and then work your way down.

OK. That's kind of what I was planning on. With the 600 grit silicon carbide (which is roughly 11um), I got a serviceable screen. However, I'm cursed by wondering if things could be better. Since the silicon carbide grinds via fracturing, I think I'm going to order some 25um, 15um, and 9um white aluminum oxide (which grinds by planing/cutting) and give that a whirl. The good thing is that small quantities of abrasive are cheap. It'll just take me a while to grind a bunch of screens. Hence asking around to see if I could avoid re-inventing the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    Isn't trying to make good things by yourself in the best spirit of LF photography?
    Yes, Sir, it is, however asking how two of our most successful entrepreneurs/inventors make their product is too much like an intellectual property short-cut. If you could improve upon their product, do you not suspect that they could or have already, possibly deciding not to do so for financial reasons?

Search well and you can find how Satin Snow had considered a new method before a tragedy having nothing to do with his product intervened. It's in this site.