Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Universal bellows

Re: Universal bellows

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Why don’t you ask Custom Bellows? It’s not their first rodeo and he can probably have a more intelligent conversation than we can.
    I asked Keith at Custom Bellows if there would be any negative effects from the combination bellows. He replied that there might be some bellows sag. I therefore thought it prudent to ask the forum of photographers if anybody had experience so that I could make a more informed decision.
    Thanks,
    Conrad

Works well with lenses 90mm to 360. Haven't tried anything shorter... Hope helped!

Hi Conrad,
    I know this is coming quite late, but I saw your post just now. I have an Ebony SV45Ti. Right before they closed down, I ordered the universal bellows. It does make it possible to use the 90mm lens without resorting to setting the camera up specifically for a wide angle configuration. I think the 75 too, but I cannot remember. I out on a trip photographing now, but I can check when I get back. Here's the thing though...my camera is unable to lock closed with the universal bellows. Also, the fit and finish was not really what I had expected from ebony....it was not terrible, but it shipped with glue marks and a small light leak in the corner. I paid 500 plus dollars for it from Ebony so I was rather pissed, but it took months to order and I live in Iceland, do I did not want to go through sending it back to the US, then to Japan, and then back to me again. I just fixed it with some sugru. I wonder if this was one of the reasons the founder was retiring...After all the time and money, it sits at home in a drawer and I use my original bellows. I think the original bellows is better for longer lenses (I use my 360/500 Nikon Tele more than the 90mm and 75mm), and for the work I do, closing the camera securely is usually more important than the extra ease in setting up super wide angles. If I mostly shot super wides, I would probably look at a bag bellows. I think it is a better solution.

Thanks for the advice. The new universal bellows from “custom Bellows” arrived today, they have the short bag section. After checking them out with short and long lenses, I wonder why I didn’t change the old ones sooner.

I just saw your post Stuart. The bellows from Custom Bellows does close and lock in the camera. Smells a bit like glue still, the 75 has more movement than I need, and it works with long lenses......But......they mounted the rear frame up side down. Since the rear frame is symmetrical I just turned the whole thing over so that the front frame was correct and it works fine.
    The price. £125. Or in US Dollars after shipping (£18) about $203.

Hi Conrad,
    That's good to know. I double checked mine, and it still does not close. It also does not seem to offer any appreciable difference in movement compared to the stock bellows. On the plus side, it still works fine with the 500mm T Nikon and will focus as far as the rails move. Overall, however, I am quite disappointed. It is of course helpful to have a spare bellows in case anything ever goes wrong, but I bought it for additional utility, and the price was really high (I could have bought a good lens for the money), so I am rather disappointed. It is too late to return it, so I guess it will just live in the drawer...
    Best,
    Stuart