Way back in the day, studio portrait cameras were often used on platforms on wheels, rather than on tripods or modern studio stands. The wheeled platforms had a table you set the camera on and a crank would raise or lower the table along vertical posts. Usually, a second crank would tilt the table.

What the heck were these things called? I've spent way too long typing increasingly random phrases into google trying to find them. I finally got to "old camera floaty thing" and figured it was time to give up and ask you guys.