My current set up is a BENRO TAD28C Adventure carbon fiber tripod and an Oben BE-126 ball and socket head that I adapted a Kessler Crane Kwik Release Receiver to. OK the Kessler is a relatively heavy overkill, but I just love it's double locking operation. I've found that the Oben BE-126 head is the lightest head that will securely support my 8x10 Chamonix. I do hang my backpack off the hook on the bottom of the center column to stabilize things up. The BENRO TAD28C Adventure carbon fiber tripod is great when carried on the side of my photo backpack, its almost 22" length sticks up too high and keeps getting caught up on the branches I duck under. Last week twice nearly caused me to fall over backwards. FORUM member Kenneth Lee has praise for an Oben CT-3535 Folding Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod with BE-208T Ball Head. From the specs seems as using an 8x10 on it a bit taxing is capabilities.
So am looking for a carbon fiber tripod that folds down to less than 22" and is reasonably priced. Gitzo probably makes one to fit my specs, but their prices just a bit too high for my wallet.

Any recommendations out there? and comments most welcome.

thanks
Greg