Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Monorail, a Toho rip-off ?

New Monorail, a Toho rip-off ?

Just to prove I ma not a complete Ebony-nut, I thought that some of you may be interested in the latest offering from Shen Hao. It is a metal monorail very similar to the Toho 45. Full details are listed on Robert White's web site (www.robertwhite.co.uk) .

Specifications SR45 II
    Camera Type Lightweight 5x4 monorail type camera
    Materials Used Anodised alloy and steel
    Format Standard 4x5 inch spring back. All International Standard sheet film holders may be used : Polaroid 405, 545, 550.

Focusing Rear only by Rack and Pinion
    Lensboard Circular type
    Camera Back Standard spring back, ground glass with 10mm grid
    Movements With film back in landscape orientation:
    Shift: Front 18mm left and right. Rear: 20mm left and right.
    Rise: 24mm
    Fall: Front 21mm. Rear 6mm
    Tilt: 30°
    Swing: 25° each way.
    With film back in Portrait orientation:
    Shift: Front 18mm each way. Rear 20mm each way.
    Rise: Front 13mm. Rear 24mm.
    Fall: Front 32mm. Rear 6mm.
    Tilt: 30°.
    Swing: 25°.
    Bellows Extension 46-360mm
    Weight 1.5Kg

Best of all is the price ... a shade over £500 plus VAT!

Looks just like my TOHO FC45X...............

It does not have a Universal back, does it? What a shame if that's true.

I don't think the Toho does etiehr does it? It's how you save weight - the universal back is nice and occassioanlly ahndy, but it's an extra bunch of weight and bulk that can be done away with in the compromise for weight savings
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

That is a complete and utter ripoff of the Toho. At that price, I doubt it's under license. If it's not, it's theft, pure and simple.

If we don't give companies like Toho a chance to make a profit on their R&D investment, they aren't going to invest any more effort in LF. Why would they? It's unethical, immoral, and just plain bad to support a company what steals another company's design.

Bruce Watson

Are the cameras identical and made by one manufacturer with different distributors?

Bruce beat me to the punch on this one, and I agree with everything he said 100%. This camera is a blatant copy of the Toho FC-45X. They didn't just copy the design, they cloned it. Of course, without testing the camera, I have no idea if the materials, fit and finish and overall quality are as good as the Toho. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. To me, it doesn't really matter. I'd rather support an innovative company like Toho than save a couple hundred bucks and support a company that rips-off others' designs.

Not only does such blatant copying hurt Toho, it hurts all of us in the long run. If this is allowed to continue, and is supported by members of the large format community, it will stifle innovation in LF camera design. What incentive will there be for Toho to come out with a new improved model if a lower priced clone appears on the market six months later? And if that's true for Toho, it's also true for other camera makers as well, and that's really sad. I love to see new, creative designs, like the Toho, the Canham DLC, the Wehman, the Linhoh Technikardan, etc. appear on the market. Even though we won't all buy these particular models, we all benefit from the competition between these manufacturers trying to one-up each others' latest and greatest design. This competition to design and build a better camera can works best when there is a level playing field. Stealing somebody else's design is not my idea of a level playing field.

Kerry

Are the cameras identical and made by one manufacturer with different distributors?

No, the original is made in Japan and the clone is made in China.

Kerry

Shen Hao are known for ripping off other designs. I am pretty sure there was a legal "battle" with Ebony over the non-folding Shen Hao which was an exact replica of the 45SW. Shen Hao do not now make their "version". The reason I bought it to the attention of the forum is that it is a cheap camera - the one thing everyone seems concerned about when looking into getting a LF camera - what's it going to cost? As far as not buying Shen Hao, one could argue that at least they are ploughing ahead and producing affordable cameras - how many contributors here have shown an interest in the ULF cameras that they have in the pipeline? Should we not support a company that is ACTUALLY making LF cameras and equipment. I'm not suggesting that ripping off people's ideas is a good thing - but don't ALL cars nowadays look the same? As an aside, lurking in the back of my mind is a though that didn't Badger "commission" a copy of the Toho too? Was it the M2? In reply to Kerry's post (whom I deeply respect!) - I believe that manufacturers who are ACTIVE will sell cameras ... maybe Shen Hao got tired of waiting for Toho to bring out an improved model and jumped in with their copy? The Toho has been around for some time now and remained unchanged, maybe if Toho were "actively" designing/producing cameras then such blatant copying would be less likely? I'm not sure the price of a new Toho these days? But if Shen Hao are offering an exact copy at a reduced price people are more likely to vote with their wallets. In some respects they are simply giving us what we want - affordable cameras. As for their quality - I am an avid "disliker" of the Shen Hao cameras I have used - for these reasons! Bit it will be interesting to keep an eye on what happens with their latest offering? Just some thoughts.

I e-mailed Badger about their clone right after it was discontinued (Jan. or Feb.), they said there were problems with the supplier. I'm guessing that they were getting them from S-H, or S-H is using Badger's old supplier now.