Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground Glass focusing screens including custom sizes from Young Camera Company

Re: Ground Glass focusing screens including custom sizes from Young Camera Company

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Maydana View Post
    Hola pueden agregar imágenes. Y hay tamaño para arca f línea 4x5
    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Hola, can you add images, and is there a size for the 4x5 Arca f/line? Oops, already translated!

Barry Young

Re: Ground Glass focusing screens including custom sizes from Young Camera Company

Thank you Luis

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Any chance you will ship outside of the States (to Hong Kong)? Also wonder how will you pack it to avoid breakage and the associated P&P rate. I'm looking for a 8x10 ground glass to replace the one that comes with the Intrepid camera - that one's simply too coarse to focus with.

Thanks.

Barry Young

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzz View Post
    Any chance you will ship outside of the States (to Hong Kong)? Also wonder how will you pack it to avoid breakage and the associated P&P rate. I'm looking for a 8x10 ground glass to replace the one that comes with the Intrepid camera - that one's simply too coarse to focus with.

Thanks.
    Yes, I would be happy to ship to Hong Kong. When I ship any screen, I wrap it in tissue paper, then in cardboard. With screens larger than 5x7, I then tape the cardboard sandwich to a sheet of cardboard which fits the inside of the box and fill both sides of the box with packing peanuts. I have never had a screen not make it all the way intact. Price including postage is $120.75 USD to Hong Kong. If you do decide to order please measure the rebate the screen fits into VERY carefully. I will make you a custom size screen that is .5mm under the size you measure so you are ensured of a proper fit. It is WAY too expensive to send it back if it does not fit. Even though you said it was for a Intrepid camera, all manufacturers have some variation.

Thank you for your question. If you decide to buy, please contact me with your email and I will send a private email with payment instructions.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I purchased a ground glass for my 14x17 field camera from Barry. He even delivered it to me! We are both in Washington but it was a distance for him to travel. It fits perfect and is the best GG I've had. Now I need to take this beast back out now that I can see with a lens that only opens to F-11. Great quality and Barry is a great guy.

Barry Young

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    As has been mentioned often here, a difficult quality of ground-glass is its granularity. Some of us find a GG such as Satin Snow, the most highly refined product, is nonetheless difficult to focus upon while more granular screens are more accurate for others. So, it is not all about metrics we can write about, but what we find useful.

So, try and buy... and look into aerial focusing which I prefer - a completely subjective thing.
    And so, what do you suggest? I grind with three different grits to offer finer or coarser selection. I am interested in what you know.

Thanks for your message

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Barry Young

Thank you Jim

It was a pleasure to meet you and see some of your carbon prints in person. I also loved seeing the camera you built.

Thanks again

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung View Post
    And so, what do you suggest? I grind with three different grits to offer finer or coarser selection. I am interested in what you know.

Thanks for your message

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company
    When I ground a number of GG's for myself I learned the differences of a coarse and a fine grind as regards hotspot and luminance. I have often wondered if a good GG might have a coarse field generally for peripheral luminance and a central fine grind for finer image. Never tried it myself yet, though. Good luck with your product. I hope you do very well.

Hi Barry,
    I would definitely try out your screens when I get a new 8x10.
    When your website or contact information becomes available, please let us know.
    Thank you and good luck!

Barry Young

Wow! That is an interesting idea. I have found grinding with one grit difficult enough, and I think the transition between areas might look a bit odd, but I will try it to see what it looks like. This might just be a viable idea you have had. I believe it may be reproducible.

Thank you so much for your response.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    When I ground a number of GG's for myself I learned the differences of a coarse and a fine grind as regards hotspot and luminance. I have often wondered if a good GG might have a coarse field generally for peripheral luminance and a central fine grind for finer image. Never tried it myself yet, though. Good luck with your product. I hope you do very well.