Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What shutter is this?

What shutter is this?

Just came across this large shutter that I put away for a LF project some time ago and forgot about.

I'm not really familiar with older shutters and their operation - can anybody shed some light on the manufacturer, and what else I need to make it work?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_5667.jpg   DSC_5668.jpg   DSC_5669.jpg  

Re: What shutter is this?

Looks like a 'LUC' for front mounting to barrel lenses

andrew

All the LUC shutter's I've seen can only be triggered with a cable release. There is a knob on the front that determines if the shutter is open or in instantaneous mode or "B". I can't tell if yours has a shutter release thread or not? If it does just hook up a cable release and play with it a bit and it should become fairly obvious.

The early ones were made with air bulb release.

These were basically a European (made in Germany mostly) shutter - not many sales across the Atlantic. There were two basic versions, in front of the lens hood or between the lens and lens board (like the T-P versions). Almost always just B I T. Many makers as it is not protected by patent. Made in different sizes- but also with various hard rubber insert/fixing screws to adapt to a range of lens sizes. They are very unreliable these days, but very simple to service.

I can post some varieties if there is interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hudson View Post
    Just came across this large shutter that I put away for a LF project some time ago and forgot about.

I'm not really familiar with older shutters and their operation - can anybody shed some light on the manufacturer, and what else I need to make it work?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

It's a Silens Shutter - with the double S (snake like) symbol, often misconstrued as Luc Shutters - something Steven has done, despite owning one back in 2016

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...st-S-amp-S-(-)

You can use a Sinar shutter cable to throw the shutter - there were several iterations of this shutter, one with a dial offering a fixed 1/60th shutter speed, a B and T dial turning option for front mounting on lenses.

They are practical alternatives for unwieldy barrel lenses to a Packard or Thornton Pickard style roller blind shutter.

Kind regards,

RJ

Touché!

My only defence is that LUC is a lot quicker to type than Silens! A silens (silence!) shutter is something of misnomer for the "lively" action of this type of shutter!

Quote Originally Posted by RJ- View Post
    Hi,

It's a Silens Shutter - with the double S (snake like) symbol, often misconstrued as Luc Shutters - something Steven has done, despite owning one back in 2016

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...st-S-amp-S-(-)

You can use a Sinar shutter cable to throw the shutter - there were several iterations of this shutter, one with a dial offering a fixed 1/60th shutter speed, a B and T dial turning option for front mounting on lenses.

They are practical alternatives for unwieldy barrel lenses to a Packard or Thornton Pickard style roller blind shutter.

Kind regards,

RJ
    that's great RJ, I've owned a couple of these and always assumed they were 'Luc', of course one can always use a well fitting lens cap

and can I ask is your 'Whole Plate Forum' still active.................?

regards

Andrew

Hi Steve,

Yes - the Luc shutters might be faster. I seem to have one with a default 1/15th second exposure, and compared to the 1/60th of the Silens.

I wonder if the Luc shutters can take a Sinar long throw shutter release cable too.

Hi Andrew - wow. It must be about 8 years since Googlegroups demolished the whole plate pages. It's a shame I don't have the technical skills to migrate the resources and pages, particularly of lens coverage for the whole plate format. Even now, I forget stuff which I wish I had easy access to!

Kind regards,
    RJ

This is a Silens shutter made in Italy. Like the LUC shutter which I think was made in England. They all seem to take long throw release cables. There were a number of companies in Europe that made or sold these shutters. Correction the LUC was German made.
    Last edited by Robert Opheim; 16-Mar-2018 at 22:30.

I have a LUC - very nice. I like it better than the Packard. I find a long throw release to be best - an old Prontor works well. Particularly the ones with a pair of "wings that rest on your fingers while the thumb trips it.