Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Achieving this look with movements or not?

Achieving this look with movements or not?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right place but this is my first post.

I'm a huge fan of the work of Bryan Schutmaat (www.bryanschutmaat.com/) and really love the look he creates using his 4x5 camera.

I'm new to shooting large format so am still not fully aware of how to achieve a certain look and style.

I really like this photo, and was wondering if anybody could advise me on whether this look (wide but shallow) is achieved using any movements e.g. swing, tilt etc.

I notice the trees are in focus in this photo as well as him, is this just because they're on the same plain as the subject?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tumblr_myhsilcyut1qz82two1_1280.jpg  

Re: Achieving this look with movements or not?

Quote Originally Posted by jamessrogers View Post
    Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right place but this is my first post.

I'm a huge fan of the work of Bryan Schutmaat (www.bryanschutmaat.com/) and really love the look he creates using his 4x5 camera.

I'm new to shooting large format so am still not fully aware of how to achieve a certain look and style.

I really like this photo, and was wondering if anybody could advise me on whether this look (wide but shallow) is achieved using any movements e.g. swing, tilt etc.

I notice the trees are in focus in this photo as well as him, is this just because they're on the same plain as the subject?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, IMHO there is a tilt.

In this image you will notice better the effect:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/colton...125592977@N05/

You see the head is in focus, behind subject the floor is out of focus, but the wall in the back is again in focus (the up side), this is because the plane of focus it has been inclinated with a tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by jamessrogers View Post

Thanks in advance!
    The man is in focus, as well as the leaves on the left tree that are probably on the same vertical plane of focus as the man. To me, everything else is not in focus, or at least not as in-focus. If there was forward tilt, the ground and low fences would be in focus, and the tree tops in mid-scene would be out of focus.

To me, it looks like a wide aperture was used for selective focus on the man, and the leaves at top-left happened to be on the same plane as the man.

Quote Originally Posted by mmerig View Post
    The man is in focus, as well as the leaves on the left tree that are probably on the same vertical plane of focus as the man. To me, everything else is not in focus, or at least not as in-focus. If there was forward tilt, the ground and low fences would be in focus, and the tree tops in mid-scene would be out of focus.

To me, it looks like a wide aperture was used for selective focus on the man, and the leaves at top-left happened to be on the same plane as the man.
    My impression also.

On a 4x5 camera, this may have been made with a 300mm lens at f/5.6 On a full-frame digital camera cropped to the same ratio, we can get the same effect with a 75mm lens at f/1.4

Precisely correct, and further, the lens has pronounce focus curvature.

Looks like a straight-shot 4x5 with approx 150mm lens, probably at f/5.6. No tilt/swing. It's not particularly shallow DOF, any 150/5.6 plasmat lens should be able to achieve this.

The ground glass of your 4x5 camera should show exactly what the film will see. A little experimentation can lead to discovery.

Thanks for all the feedback all, I guess I just need to get out there and actually make some photographs and find out for myself.

See the marked areas, beyond the bad quality of the posted image, this shows clearly that an (inverted) tilt was used, IMHO, also some swing, look at the base of the tree at right....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dof.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	175475