PS…at this point, one might ask why I don’t simply go with multiple large trays - and greater volumes of chemistry?

My darkroom measures 8 x 17 feet. The interior of my sink measures 34.5 inches by 16 feet…large enough to comfortably accommodate five 24x34 inch trays (dev/stop/fix/fix/water) for 20x30 prints. Two gallons works perfectly, no presoak, perfect results. While this sink could fit trays large enough for 30x40’s, I’d need to limit their number to four, which means I’d need to eliminate a fixing bath and use a single tray of something like TF-5. Furthermore…the logistics of pouring out, cleaning, and storing four additional, (and really big) trays are a bit daunting. And while my backdraft ventilation system is very effective, I’d still like to avoid the prospect of having such large open trays exposed for hours at a time. On the other hand…my clear plastic chemical holding tanks have covers, helping to minimize off-gassing/oxidation. Overall, the logistics of this single tray system are a perfect fit with my darkroom…which is why I am so adamant about making it work. But if this ultimately does not work, I’ll build a single trough and try that. If that does not work…I’ll up my dose of bourbon and call it a day!