Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hp5 vs TMY400

Re: Hp5 vs TMY400

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Not sure why its an HP5 vs TMY comparison. Wouldn't the fairer comparison be with Delta 400?
    Delta 400 is not available in sheet film for large format.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Not sure why its an HP5 vs TMY comparison. Wouldn't the fairer comparison be with Delta 400?
    I never considered it. I was just looking for a way of picking up two stops of speed and my universe of film usage is very small. I'm trying to settle on the film (6 1/2 x 8 1/2) I will order when Ilford has their once a year offering. I asked here since there is a lot of experience, even though some of it is off topic/thread hijacking.

As an example: a box of TMY 5x7 is around $250 for 50 sheets. Fp4 is a little over $100 for 50. That $150 will add up quickly, money that could be spent on other gear. If there was a consensus that TMY was superior for portraiture it would make sense but I'm just not reading that in this thread.

Drew Wiley

Was Delta 400 ever made in sheets?

Drew Wiley

How big are you printing?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I apologize for starting the whole Delta 400 diversion. I didn't read the OP as carefully as I should have and just saw all the posts comparing HP5 to TMY. I've never used either in LF. I prefer FP4, but everybody has their favorite.
    Last edited by faberryman; 25-Feb-2018 at 15:31.

I believe the first version of it was available in sheets, but it was subsequently altered (very early 2000s?) and since then I think it's been 135/120 only. It's certainly got the best / most comprehensive data sheet of any Ilford film.

Yes, the original version, labeled as "400 Delta" rather than "Delta 400", was available in sheets as well as rolls.

Better for portraiture? Well, in my system TMY is twice as fast as HP5+. That allows using a smaller aperture or a faster shutter speed. Both can be important for portraiture.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Better for portraiture? Well, in my system TMY is twice as fast as HP5+. That allows using a smaller aperture or a faster shutter speed. Both can be important for portraiture.
    I don't find at all that TMY is twice the speed than HP5+, I see very similar shadow detail using box speed and Xtol.

It would be interesting to know why do you use HP5+ at half the speed than TMY...

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    I never considered it. I was just looking for a way of picking up two stops of speed and my universe of film usage is very small. I'm trying to settle on the film (6 1/2 x 8 1/2) I will order when Ilford has their once a year offering. I asked here since there is a lot of experience, even though some of it is off topic/thread hijacking.

As an example: a box of TMY 5x7 is around $250 for 50 sheets. Fp4 is a little over $100 for 50. That $150 will add up quickly, money that could be spent on other gear. If there was a consensus that TMY was superior for portraiture it would make sense but I'm just not reading that in this thread.
    Is that the Canham special order price since no one carries 5x7 TMY ? Also would it be more fair, price wise, to compare 320TXP to HP5 ? The price difference isn't as wide then
    notch codes ? I only use one film...