Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Backpack for 8x10

Drew Wiley

Re: Backpack for 8x10

I use Rubbermaid kitchen-sized poly wastebaskets of a size that neatly slips right into the top compartment of the Kelty. That way I can quickly interchange full kits. Side pouches hold the lenses, which largely interchange between various view camera formats, unless I working with MF instead. For long multi-day treks, I don't use that particular system, but do cushion and insulate both my camera and film box with my goosedown jacket (with any potential down-shedding isolated by the jacket being in a plastic garbage can liner, which also keeps the jacket dry in case it rains, as it often does during high country afternoons).

Please note that I'm speaking of REAL Kelty external frame packs of ca 70's - 80's vintage. These still often turn up almost unused. Don't confuse these with neo-Kelty made in China products, which are quite inferior. Nor is this an official "camera pack". It just happens to be excellent for that too, but with plenty of room left over for other gear, clothing, and food.
    I'd routinely carry 85 lb loads that way, for days on end in steep terrain. No more. I'll be happy if I'm comfortable carrying 55-60 lbs this summer. Geezerhood has its benefits, but also its shortcomings. Einstein got it all wrong; gravity is not a function of mass but of time - it just keeps tugging a little more as time goes by.

DW: Sounds like you have a systen that works for you. Is that for an 8x10 outfit? I haven't done any serious backpacking myself since the late 1970s, but do remember the Kelty external frame packs. They were state-of-the art at that time. My 8x10 2D fills the main compartment of a mid '80s vintage LowePro backpack though. Would it fit into the top compartment of an older Kelty?

As an old-guy aside: Few today remember the '60s-'70s era transition from Army surplus camping gear to the new-tech external frame with waist belt packs alolng with goose down clothing and mummy bags. As a Boy Scout in my early teens we shivered in the dark and humped heavy canvass packs filled with WW-II and Korean War leftovers. The Boy Scout logo mess kits and canteens were fragile light guage Aluminum and the rugged GI gear was heavy.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    As an old-guy aside: Few today remember the '60s-'70s era transition from Army surplus camping gear to the new-tech external frame with waist belt packs alolng with goose down clothing and mummy bags. As a Boy Scout in my early teens we shivered in the dark and humped heavy canvass packs filled with WW-II and Korean War leftovers. The Boy Scout logo mess kits and canteens were fragile light guage Aluminum and the rugged GI gear was heavy.
    My uncle owned an Army/Navy store (remember those?) and I remember his transition from selling army/navy surplus to selling cheap Academy gear. He mostly sold the factory seconds from Academy. In some cases It would be a bad seam that would need to be touched up or something else simple, and the discount was worth it, but my father got me an Academy external frame backpack. It fit fine and all seemed good until it was loaded with 40 lbs and I was on the trail and I discovered that one of the aluminum cross beams on the frame had been welded in backward, so rather than arching away from my back, it was arching towards my back. This wasn't noticable until it was loaded and I was hiking with it and the weight and bouncing action kept jamming that bar into the small of my back. It went in the dumpster as soon as that trip was over.

Drew Wiley

Hi other Drew - I use that true Kelty Tioga for all my day hike view camera work. Yes, it accepts my 8x10 folder too, quite efficiently, although I don't use a drop-in plastic wastebasket in that case, but foamcore board dividers between flatbed camera, filmholders, and cloth - very light, protective, and efficient. I have even bigger classic external-frame packs for actual multi-day backpacking trips. Being an old-timer myself, and not having much money when I was young, I made my own dirt-cheap first two backpacks; and yes, those were miserable.

Army surplus still has an odd connotation in this neighborhood. It caught on in the early 70's when a tiny storefront on University Avenue in Berkeley was buying up actual Latin American surplus combat camo clothing, boots, etc, plus olive caps with little red stars on them. The Che Guevara look. That overstuffed grungy little store was called Banana Republic - a totally different ethos (distinctly left-wing revolutionary) from what it subsequently became as a widespread suburban shopping mall chain. History always repeats itself - once communist revolutionaries start getting rich, they become capitalists. A lot of that kind of dress-up was just for fun, to give tourists the stereotypical sights they expected. I know an old local who still wears his little green Mao hat with a red star on it, just to irk people, even though he was a fraternity president getting his business degree when he started wearing it - and nothing was more anathema to local activists back then than being a frat or "capitalist" businessman. How times have changed!

But that was also the era when nearly all the serious outdoor gear brands were being made right around here. The original Sierra Designs store was right across the tracks my office; and the factory itself was later bought by a backpacking buddy and turned into a big legal office complex, and the North Face factory was part of a business park which later became genetic and biotech R&D facilities, where my wife once worked. But Kelty was made in Glendale, southern Calif.

As late as maybe 2010 there was a genuine surplus store in downtown Galveston called "Col. Bubbie's". They had Warsaw Pact surplus, Arctic mittens and US Navy bed pans . . . .whatever. And the place had that musty surplus warehouse smell.

Our son was at Twenty-Nine Palms as a fresh platoon leader in a training cycle set to surge into Iraq that fall. I don't remember the datils of the why of it, but he wanted/needed a desert camo tarp to go with an insulated poncho liner I had gotten him. Couldn't find anything in the then-current (2004)camo pattern. Guess he couldn't either. So we went to Bubbies.

Also nothing . . .anything in desert casamo was gone. But did find Desert Storm era "Chocolate-Chip" spare tire covers . . .three of them. not enough to sew up into a tarp. As we were leaving, "Col. Bubbie routinely asked if we had found what we wanted . . .we said no and explained. HGe shut down his for-the-tourist face and got serious. took us into the back room and pulled out tire covers till my wife said it was enough. Discounted the lot by 75% (his margin I guess) and bagged them up.

That is the old, old-school!

All 7 tire covers were seam-ripped and resewen into a personel sized tarp by his mother and seems to have served the Lt. well . . .he still hsd it.

Sadly, Bubby passed some years ago and I think the place is gone now.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Found this on Amazon. Looks workable for short hikes, urban or wild; or just getting through an airport.

Can't get the links to work.

Go to Amazon and enter "Ruc Pac".

Two models come up. One is just shoulder straps they show hooked onto a 1510 hard case. The other loks to be a full conversion backpack with padded back panel, shoulder straps and a padded waist belt. I am thinking these could also hook onto a different model Pelican case.

Maybe not for trekking, but an urban jaunt of short hikes in the wild.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post

Go to Amazon and enter "Ruc Pac".

Two models come up. One is just shoulder straps they show hooked onto a 1510 hard case. The other loks to be a full conversion backpack with padded back panel, shoulder straps and a padded waist belt.
    Unfortunately, everyone's amazon search is different--I get hundreds of small backpacks when I make that search.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    Same, but “rucpac hardcase conversion” worked
    Thanks, I think that got me what Drew was referencing.

Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

I searched for "rucpac hardcase conversion" in Amazon and saw the hard case backpack you mentioned. As Drew mentioned it may be ok for short travel (walking from the car to 100 yards away) but it looks like a horrible backpack. To be fair I haven't worn one that pack or the backpack I am going to post a link to by Eberlestock, however I have several of their pack and they are very good packs it you wear them correctly. This pack is a hard case design if that is what you are looking for. Keeping in mind this is a thread for 8x10 backpacks, and I don't see a way this (or many) packs are going to hold an 8x10, holders, lenses etc. So a pack like this is better suited for just the holders, lenses tripods and all the other oddities that go along with large format and carry the camera yourself.

-Joshua