Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpack for 8x10

Re: Backpack for 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by Torlief View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. I have an older Lowepro supertrekker that holds my Chamonix Alpinist and 2 lenses and all my misc but is only deep enough to hold 2 film holders. Its also not very confortable with outdated and underpadded shoulder straps. I would like something I could get 3-4 holders in and that will not hurt my body after a few hours. Ive been looking at the F-stop bags which seem super nice but are just so expensive. Ill check this bag out for sure. You feel its comfortable even with 4 lenses in it? Cheers.
    I do feel it was very comfortable over the 12 miles, even with all 4 lenses (including a Nikkor W 360). I really thought about using a hiking backpack like some folks are saying, but having to pull out separate cases to access my gear doesn't work for my flow. As for the padding, I've had some older lowepro bags that were very short in the padding department. I'm not sure when, but their newer bags have much more padding and it's designed like a hiking backpack. All in all the pack weighed in at 47.9 pounds and I wasn't sore after 12 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    The 600 is similar to the newer 650 except that it allows for tripods to be carried on both sides as well as on the rear.
    I did take a look at the 600 but I wanted the side pockets for the dark cloth and accessories. I originally had the tripod on the back center, but the tripod was a bit too heavy to be so far mounted from my back. I typically keep it strapped to the side that carries my darkcloth, and not under the center flap as shown.

Haven't read every post . . .sorry if this is redundant.

There is a school of thought that argues for finding a dedicated heavy duty backpack that fits you well. Then adapting the pack to carry the LF camera you have. This was the design concept behind the now discontinued "PhotoBackpacker" line of gear.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I've been looking for something to haul my gear around the city in! This may be the best solution figuring ill be going in and out of subways so much! I'll definitely be checking this bag out.

8x10backpacks

Hello all,

You've all seen this question schpeal a billion times. However a lot of these threads are old and I wanted to see if and LF users on here had some updated suggestions on a backpack for 8x10. I've been looking at MEI, Lowepro (EXPENSIVE!), and even F64. But I wanted to see if you all had input. I'm pretty spry being that I'm 22 so I'm willing to walk a good distance for the time being to get my shots. As of now the MEI Trekker 2 looks pretty nice given the $210 price and being made in 'Murica. Let's hear your suggestions for this newbie.

Re: 8x10backpacks

The biggest LowePro not longer for sale, only used. It has room outside for 45cm rails for my Bender, but is filled with a Wehman with 2-3 film holders and 4 lenses, 150mm XL, 240 Sironar-S, 300mm macro and a 450mm Nikkor-M. I sometimes add a 210mm f5,6 and it gets tiny in there.

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

Re: 8x10backpacks

Which 8x10?

Threads merged.

I've been using this full-zip REI backpack for my 8x10. With the caveat I am using a Gowland 8x10 which is a very compact rail design camera that disassembles easily. I actually prefer this pack to my Photobackpacker pack (which is going up for sale soon on here). This pack really has a lot of room and opens basically all the way open for easy packing and unpacking. There are so many backpack designs available today with a little sleuthing you should be able to find a off-the-shelf backpack for anything up to 8x10.