Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpack for 8x10

Drew Wiley

Re: Backpack for 8x10

Well, I think I successfully conned my younger backpacking protege to help me with some of my extra food weight next summer. He started out with 110 lbs for a month-long backpack last year. Regretted it. But if he drops that down to say 80, we'll eat darn well and I'm have more room in my own pack for LF gear plus amenities for a two week trip in the mtns. Pack weight seems to be inverse with age. I'm turning 70 this year, so aim to keep my pack weight below 70. I ordinarily put my Phillips on my larger Ries tripod. But I do have one of Feisol's strongest CF tripods which supports it well, and weighs about a third. The problem with light tripods is that they don't have enough bully mass to keep your camera from becoming a kite in the wind. So my turnbolt below, after I customized it, is actually a stainless 3/8-16 hookbolt, so if necessary I can hang a mesh bag of rocks from it for added weight. On these longer hikes I use a similar combination of a lightwt Ebony 4x5 folder and the original Gitzo Reporter CF tripod, likewise significantly modified, and stronger than their current versions. Ordinarily I use my lighter Ries for 4x5 use. It would be awfully nice to tote my Bibler tent again, since it's almost bombproof in extreme weather. But my ultralight Big Agnes tent weighs half as much. It keeps the rain and snow out, but because it has a rainfly, wind still has a path through. Last time I was at high altitude storm near the crest in Wyoming, I got pretty darn cold. A winter sleeping bag is not necessarily the answer, because at lower altitudes on the approach, these can be just too warm. And my Feathered Friends 3-season bag is Goretex, so was pricey to begin with. The nice thing about Goretex is that it not only keeps the goosedown completely dry, but frost and dew quickly sublimate off and don't soak in. .. All this wind is bringing down not only sticks from my big aracaria tree, but little cotton balls. It was hard to figure out at first. Then as I was repairing my back fence from wind damage, I noticed the neighbors had a rotting mattress in their
    backyard junk pile. Then the resident mommy squirrel ran over there and snagged some more nest material.

Bought one of my boys a two-person ultra-light Big Agnes in December (Tiger Wall UL). On sale, but not cheap. I used it in Chile -- the two boys used a larger two-person Big Agnes. I am impressed as it weighs almost nothing and stood up to the wind and rain well...nothing too extreme. I tried to talk him into trading for the larger tent, but no go.

We are having a bit of a hail storm -- snow forecasted! I should not have trimmed by beard!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I scoured LA in the late 80's for my current backpack, which I really like! Whether by the same name, it's an MEI that has the same dimensions and structure as the current Trekker I. (22 inch length.)

But, it's not long enough for my 8x10. Until this thread, I didn't realize that a Trekker II is available. With it's 25" length, this would be ideal.

I have a Lowepro for an RB67 outfit that works reasonably well. The thing is, another word for the padding it includes is WEIGHT! I think that these packs "designed" for photo equipment are heavier than they need to be.

Whatever packs that I have, I'm more likely to load them onto my cart, versus onto my person.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Old-Golf-Cart

Whether or not one swings one onto their back, they are quite a convenient way to hold and store a camera outfit. In addition to the Lowepro for my RB kit, I use my MEI for 4x5 and a Photobackpacker for a medium format VC medium format kit.

Could also take fewer film holders and load film as you go once you hit your destination. Maybe take only 1 lens too. I like Chamonix cameras as they are quite lite as well. I use a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, but for hiking I may get a smaller carbon fiber one. Don’t really need a support for a house when camping just needs to be stable.

Backpack for 8x10

I have an older Super Trekker that is huge, and heavy. Will certainly fit an 8x10, maybe even larger. So large, it will not fit in an overhead bin on an airliner. Anyone interested? Don’t use it any more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A short while ago I acquired (ebay, ~£66) a Torvol Drone Adventure backpack and found that it's a great fit for my Chamonix 8x10 camera. Thought I'd share some pictures on it...

On the main compartment I have (1) the camera and (2) up to 4x 8x10 film holders
    On the top roll bit I've got my 300mm lens, meter, loupe etc...

Empty pack is 4.5kg, full pack without tripod ~13kg, tripod+head adds another ~3kg.

It's a comfortable pack but at full load (16kg) it's a struggle for hikes >90min (for me at least!).

Hope that helps someone out there.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200821192844951_COVER_small.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	207835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200821_193746_small.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	207836

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I tried to talk him into trading for the larger tent, but no go.
    If you're tent shopping, throw the Six Moons Designs "Lunar Duo" on your list--it's a nice "big man" tent, the silnylon equivalent, perhaps, of the old Sierra Designs Meteor Light. I'm not sold on single-wall shelters, especially stream-side and under canopy, but since it basically halved my former weight/volume I've been willing to give it a go. (FWIW, I can also recommend Montbell Super Spiral bags for us burly sorts--perhaps one tier below Drew's FF bag, but for 3-season use below treeline, a pretty good option.)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Young View Post
    A short while ago I acquired (ebay, ~£66) a Torvol Drone Adventure backpack and found that it's a great fit for my Chamonix 8x10 camera. Thought I'd share some pictures on it...

On the main compartment I have (1) the camera and (2) up to 4x 8x10 film holders
    On the top roll bit I've got my 300mm lens, meter, loupe etc...

Empty pack is 4.5kg, full pack without tripod ~13kg, tripod+head adds another ~3kg.

It's a comfortable pack but at full load (16kg) it's a struggle for hikes >90min (for me at least!).

Hope that helps someone out there.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200821192844951_COVER_small.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	207835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200821_193746_small.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	207836
    Thanks for this recommendation. I bought the Torvol Adventure backpack based on your post and it fits my 8x10 plus 4 film holders plus lenses quite nicely.

When I first began with LF, the budget for photo gear was not a shoe-string but a frayed thread. I had a pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic that was a total beater, and one lens. . . .film holders, meter etc.

We went to New Mexico and Arizona for our 20th anniversary and I put together a photo backpack or day hiking. A light weight book bag came from a thrift store. Found royal blue closed cell foam sleeping pads at a surplus store. Cut up the pads into slices that fit the tear-drop shape of the pack and layered them together with a hot glue gun, then cut spaces to custom fit the gear, right through the layers and jammed it all into the pack.

Worked well enough and cost only a little. I think that some variation on this concept could be adapted to the requirements of expansive 8x10 gear and a serious expedition type backpack.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I'd get an old Kelty aluminum frame pack and slide 'er into that. Use your dark cloth for padding and be careful around rocks and trees and other stuff that doesn't like cameras.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White