Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpack for 8x10

Re: Backpack for 8x10

I still loving my MEI Trekker II. Doesn't yell 'Photo Equipment!", tho carrying a large tripod sort of does...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

What sort of gear can you carry in one of those? I'm looking into them and I'm loving the price and the looks honestly.

A Zone VI 8x10 (about same size as a Deardorff), several lenses (Fuij Ws; 250/6.7, 300/5.6, and perhaps the 360/6.3...a beast, so I might leave the 300mm behind), meter, darkcloth. Up to five 8x10 holders in the detachable daypack/front pocket (which also has a front pocket for notebook, pencil, cable release, etc). I can put one or two more 8x10 holders inside the main pack if needed.

I rarely use them, but the two hide-away side pockets can collectively hold a couple quart bottles of water and lunch for the day.

The only weak point is the small zippers that hold the daypack onto the main pack. So far so good on mine after 25 years or so, but someday I might need to sew the pack on permanently (rather than repair the zippers).

Old images from a past post: Self-made dividers and padding from old backpacking sleeping pads (closed-cell foam except for on the bottom, which is a couple inches of open-celled foam to absorb shocks from setting the pack down. I also added a thick layer of dense material that prevents anything poking through and breaking the GG (which is also against my back).

It has only flown once (checked bag), though I have flown with 4x5 and 5x7 a little more (and a lot easier when the camera, film holders and film can be brought on as carry-on).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PackInterior.jpg   PackExterior.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

The older cdedicated photo backpacks were not designed by or for real hikers. My LowePro Trekker AW from the mid 1980s or early 1990s will hold my 4x5 gear safely enough to go into an airliner cargo hold in a pinch (with me sweating it olut the whole way), but does not ride well for anything beyond a m ile or even less.

The new generation of bags may ride better, but in the camerta store they seem overly heavy even when empty.

Several posters here have adapted backpacks designed for serious backpack camping. This was the concept behind the now discontinued line of RPT and PhotoBackpacker products. This was a system built around a Kelty Redwing back pack adapted to securely carry camera gear in individual dedicated semi-rigid boxes for the camera, lenses and other items. I use the boxes in an old LowePro Magnum-35 shoulder bag . . .old enough to have elastic loops for 35mm film cassettes. My hips won't do backpacking anymore.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Drew Wiley

Well, yeah. I talked to Jeff Lowe a few times back then. He was one of the extreme climbers who was also a safe climber. A small guy. LowePro was a camera store spinoff after he sold his gear company. Jansport packs were also user-designed. Most of the outdoor gear mfg was all local here on the east side of SF Bay. A friend of mine owns the old Sierra Designs factory, and has converted it into law offices replete with indoor/outdoor koi ponds, dozens of backcountry photographs, a ceiling consisting of 500 sheets of maple plywood curved like waves. Quite a project. A different one of my backpacking pals bought the very first single-ply Sierra Designs tent, and I was right there in that storm when he sure regretted it! The gent who invented that gear disaster was walking past my house not long ago. We had a fun conversation. He had been quite an off-trail traveler himself, but can now no longer go to high altitude due to age-related cardio issues. One of my current camera packs is the very same Kelty model as I used for about 10,000 miles of hiking in the mountains when I was younger. As soon as the company sold and started outsourcing, however, the straps would break the first day! I don't think anyone ever tests things anymore, unless its some 24 hr use review after the fact.

At least LowePro has a pretty good guarantee policy. I had a sling bag with a broken zipper slider on one small pocet. Took it to a local outdoor store to ask if they knew of a local zipper-wizard. they said they would try to get it fixed. a week later, the store called saying my bag was ready for pick-up. when I got there, they gave me a brand-new bag!

However, this seems to only apply to bags that are in current production. If they change models you may be out of luck.

Had that problem with a Pelican soft side camera bag. This line is out solurced to the Pacific rim. trhe models change every 6-18 months, so about any bag you buy is out of production by the time a problem comes up. The Pelican hard case line is still supported with a soliod life time guarantee against about anything though.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    A Zone VI 8x10 (about same size as a Deardorff), several lenses (Fuij Ws; 250/6.7, 300/5.6, and perhaps the 360/6.3...a beast, so I might leave the 300mm behind), meter, darkcloth. Up to five 8x10 holders in the detachable daypack/front pocket (which also has a front pocket for notebook, pencil, cable release, etc). I can put one or two more 8x10 holders inside the main pack if needed.

I rarely use them, but the two hide-away side pockets can collectively hold a couple quart bottles of water and lunch for the day.

The only weak point is the small zippers that hold the daypack onto the main pack. So far so good on mine after 25 years or so, but someday I might need to sew the pack on permanently (rather than repair the zippers).

Old images from a past post: Self-made dividers and padding from old backpacking sleeping pads (closed-cell foam except for on the bottom, which is a couple inches of open-celled foam to absorb shocks from setting the pack down. I also added a thick layer of dense material that prevents anything poking through and breaking the GG (which is also against my back).

It has only flown once (checked bag), though I have flown with 4x5 and 5x7 a little more (and a lot easier when the camera, film holders and film can be brought on as carry-on).
    I use this same pack only in black & I LOVE this thing. It is a SOLID and a VERY well manufactured bag with a VERY serious harness system with internal stays and plenty of suspension stabilizing pull downs/straps & loads of room w/ a full front access using a big YKK zipper. Of all the bags I own this one uses the best materials and attention to quality build but it is a bit heavy out of the gate w/out a load so take that for what it's worth. Like Vaughn says plenty of room for my 8x10 & all of what you may want w/ you in the field.

Drew Wiley

Well, I can certainly understand Vaughn tearing insulation out of a sleeping bag and using it for cushioning. As a member of the Sasquatch species, he has enough fur to sleep in the woods without a sleeping bag. For Homo sapiens like me, a pack has to have room for a lot more than camera gear, like a tent, sleeping bag, all-weather gear, food, pepper spray for defense against Sasquatch attempting to shred the pack to get a bottle of microbrew - yeah, that helps him keep warm at night too!

I use an actual backpack Osprey and Gregory. Both with access from the back. Allows me to comfortably carry camera and gear plus survival gear for the long backpack trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, I can certainly understand Vaughn tearing insulation out of a sleeping bag and using it for cushioning. As a member of the Sasquatch species, he has enough fur to sleep in the woods without a sleeping bag. For Homo sapiens like me, a pack has to have room for a lot more than camera gear, like a tent, sleeping bag, all-weather gear, food, pepper spray for defense against Sasquatch attempting to shred the pack to get a bottle of microbrew - yeah, that helps him keep warm at night too!
    I have only hiked overnight once with this pack and the 8x10...sleeping bag strapped underneath, sleeping pad (what's left of it!) on top. I'd have to get all new equipment to stay out a few nights -- right now 8x10 gear is at about 60 pounds (Zone VI, 5 to 6 film holders, 2 to 3 lenses, the etceras, and the Ries A100 tripod/250 head.)

I could get something like the Philips Explorer (minus 10 pounds), one lighter lens only (minus 5 lbs), a carbon fiber pod w/o head (minus 10 pounds). That would take 25 pounds off me. I might find a pound or two more to dump, but there is still the space issue. Or just take the 5x7 or the 4x5 and enjoy myself with my fellow bigfoots.