Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpack for 8x10

Backpack for 8x10

I have been shooting 4x5 for a while now and have a great backpack setup that allows me and my OCD to keep everything separate and organized in one case (lowepro whistler 450). I recently moved into 8x10 and could not find very much at all about a similar setup for hikes more than a couple hundred feet from the car. After searching the internet / forums / dead links the most I could find is an F.64 backpack or a red flyer wagon (a cooler was thrown in a couple of times as well). I currently still own the F.64 bag but it was too limited in space and the hip belt was not very comfortable for long periods with a lot of weight.

Well all, I share with you the bag I bought on a whim and now love... the lowepro trekker 650. This bag keeps things organized the way I like, carries 6 film holders, a tripod, 4 lenses, all my accessories and does so with a frame that could be designed for long distance hiking. So far I've only used it over 12 miles but it is so comfortable compared to the F.64 I had to share.

Also, it fits in overhead bins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180210_124232.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	175091 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180221_003.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	175089 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180221_004.jpg 
Views:	617 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	175088 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180221_005.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	175087

Ed Freniere

Re: Backpack for 8x10

Thanks for posting this. I recently bought an f64 pack for 8x10 but I haven't tried any long hikes with it. It's nice to know there's a good alternative.

Glad you found something that works for you...it can be difficult with 8x10. I use a Kelty pack/frame with RPT cases inside for the camera and lenses. I carry holders in an RPT cascading case w/strap, which makes long distance hiking out of the question, but for anything I do it works out okay. The nice thing about the Kelty pack is that I have an F-Stop ICU for my 4x5 outfit which allows me to simply unload the 8x10 stuff, toss in the ICU, and I'm good to go!

Drew Wiley

I have a whole pile of vintage external frame packs, just enough hopefully to supply me with spare parts till I'm old n shrunken enough to be buried in one of them. But with the 70's Kelty now in use, I have different rectangular liners that just drop into the big top compartment for the respective kits, whether 4x5, 8x10, MF systems. Side pouches are for items used in common like meter, filters, view lenses. Since all these are true packs, they can be configured for anything from a dayhike to two weeks of backpacking gear and supplies. But my long-haul pack per se is set aside for now, already prep for summer, minus only food, camera choice, and goose down gear I don't want rolled tight yet. But I try to keep even day kits heavy for conditioning purposes.

Thanks for sharing this. I have an older Lowepro supertrekker that holds my Chamonix Alpinist and 2 lenses and all my misc but is only deep enough to hold 2 film holders. Its also not very confortable with outdated and underpadded shoulder straps. I would like something I could get 3-4 holders in and that will not hurt my body after a few hours. Ive been looking at the F-stop bags which seem super nice but are just so expensive. Ill check this bag out for sure. You feel its comfortable even with 4 lenses in it? Cheers.

David Schaller

I'm with Drew on this, using actual backpacks made for hiking, with no special "photo" branding. I favor old Dana Designs internal frame packs for their excellent weight-carrying attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by Torlief View Post
    ...underpadded shoulder straps...
    That's my concern with the shoulder straps (and waist belt) shown in the OP's photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Torlief View Post
    ...the F-stop bags...
    Same under padded belt/straps issue with them.

Drew Wiley

Hey the wind stopped... Maybe I will get out with the Kelty pack n 8x10 today!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I've been using the 600 AW Trekker for several years now for my Toyo 810MII and I have been quite satisfied. The 600 is similar to the newer 650 except that it allows for tripods to be carried on both sides as well as on the rear. I can get as many as 5 8x10 Toyo holders in an MC Photo holder case and slip it in the outside rear compartment and as many as 4 lens in with the camera if I place one on the folded camera. Spot meter, loupe, lens cleaning kit...etc all fit inside. As a practical matter though I hardly ever pack more than 3 lens and 2 holders as I usually know what I am going to shoot having scouted it out in advance.

Thomas

Glad you found something that works great for you!

I have a MEI tour pack set up for my 8x10 -- photo below with my Zone VI 8x10 and three or 4 lenses. My lens selection has shifted since -- unfortunately to heavier glass and/or shutters. The pack looks to be similar in size to yours, but I had to divide and pad the pack myself. I can carry 7 to 8 holders in a pinch, but prefer just 5 (I rarely scout)...the removable exterior pocket/daypack holds 5 holders and smaller stuff. Two hide-a-way side pockets (hidden in the photo) -- can carry a couple quarts of water and lunch if needed. Full-on adjustable suspension, well padded, and very comfortable on all-day hikes. When I was having worse lower back issues, the hipbelt/padding actually supported my back and my back felt better with the pack on than when it was off. It has held up very well these past 20 years.

Now for the way-back machine: I have been backpacking since the late 60s (city boy)...first a Camp Trails pack then moved up to Kelty. In 1973 I bought the first full-on internal frame pack, the Kelty Tour Pack http://patentpending.blogs.com/paten...rst-inter.html $89 bucks! One thing that sold me on it was when I was hitch-hiking around the West, there was no frame to dig into me while sitting in the back of VW bugs, etc with my pack on my lap. I hitchhiked around NZ with it in 1980/81 with my 4x5 camera pack strapped to the back of my backpack. I probably looked pretty silly. I used it heavily for ten years when I decided I needed more volume...and internal frame pack technology changed quite a bit in ten years. I bought a Gregory when they still had their shop in San Diego next to A16. They even gave me an unasked-for discount when I mentioned I was a wilderness ranger. Cool.

The important thing is that transporting one's equipment should not be to painful burden that zaps the joy out of photographing. I have access to some old Kelty pack frames. I have an 11x14 that needs transportation, along with one or two lenses and two to four holders. It would be nice to cover a mile of ground. Working on it...but something with wheels sure sounds nice for the more civilized locales!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PackExterior.jpg   PackInterior.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 24-Feb-2018 at 15:53.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China