Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good buy?

Re: Is this a good buy?

Thank you everyone, I appreciate all the responses. I’m going to give this one a pass and keep looking with some new criteria in mind.

I'd say it depends on what the seller is willing to accept. If the bellows are light tight I'd think around $250 would be a very good deal, just because you'll have everything you need except film and a tripod and an old Tiltall should carry it just fine. Carol at Flutot's in Whittier can do a cla if the shutter needs it.
    This is a classic monorail with metal parts. More modern monorails use a lot more plastic and broken knobs can be an issue with a heavily used camera.
    I have a Graphic View II which is very similar, being old school and metal.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Roxbrough View Post
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate all the responses. I’m going to give this one a pass and keep looking with some new criteria in mind.
    I'm glad you passed on it. I did not want to lead with negativity but in my experience the camera is largely suited to studio work, out of the elements, especially a breeze. The lenses are no prize, either.

Stay in touch with us. Good luck in your pursuit.

There’s a nice Wisner 4x5 technical field offered for sale in the classifieds here....
    Last edited by BradS; 21-Feb-2018 at 17:20. Reason: Spelling

Don't do it.

The character of this offer screams to me that there is someone wanting to do a lot of money. He wants 250 US$. That's a hell of money. You can get an Intrepid 4x5 - NEW!

He writes "Price negotiable." Do you really want to negotiate? If he sells it for 50 US$, you can take it, but what do you want to achieve with these lenses on this camera?

• The Angulon is rather old, pre-war, you can't shift or tilt it, image circle is too small. The lenses aren't coated. You will have less contrast.
    • The shutter seems to be old, you will not find light meters any more that show you a 1/50th second. You can't attach modern flashes, you will have to fiddle to control aperture (small indications without stops).
    • The price is too high; you can get an impeccable Cambo SC-2 by spending 100 US$. Or a Horseman L, a Linhof Kardan ...
    • There are lighter cameras and there are cameras with a shorter rail, too, to store the thing in a smaller box or in your backpack.
    • The bellows needs to have a rebuilt, as the vendor is writing ("may need some maintenance") - newer cameras often don't need this maintenence.
    • Do you really want to slip under this 60 years old dark cloth, stored in a box whose foam is deteriorating?

Save your money and buy yourself an actual camera in a few months.

If it's urgent, get a Horseman/Cambo/Sinar/Linhof (100 US$), a Fujinon W 5.6/135 (120 US$), six Riteway/Fidelity holders (50 US$) and some filters (yellow, orange, red and green) and that's it. Use your vest as a dark cloth.

Regards

"...you can get an impeccable Cambo SC-2 by spending 100 US$. Or a Horseman L, a Linhof Kardan ..."

Really? I sincerely doubt your price and condition optimism.

Giving a newbie impossible goals can scare them away.

I also see you don't own anything you recommend...yapn

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    "...you can get an impeccable Cambo SC-2 by spending 100 US$. Or a Horseman L, a Linhof Kardan ..."

Really? I sincerely doubt your price and condition optimism.

Giving a newbie impossible goals can scare them away.

I also see you don't own anything you recommend...yapn
    wizard of oz ?

Hi everyone, just as an update, I ended up buying a camera today. I picked up a Cambo SC. It came with an Ilex Acuton 150mm fitted to a copal #1, 6 sheet film cartridges, a case, dark cloth, and change bag for $250.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 10.00.43 AM.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	175307 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 10.00.32 AM.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	175308

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

That's a rather versatile camera. A bit heavy for field work but that has never stopped me from using one in the field. Do you have a stout tripod?

Cool and weight is very good for stability in wind.