Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 240mm lens for 8x10"

240mm lens for 8x10"

Hi again,

I'm still tyre kicking wide lenses fo 8x10". I'd still prefer a 210mm lens with good room for movements (I'm looking at Fuji W, Graphic-Kowa and Computar f9 options), but thought it prudent to start reseraching alternatives, even if they aren't quite as wide as I'd like.

I see a lot of Schneider APO Symmar lenses for sale on the auction site at what seems like reasonable prices, but I'm not quite clear on the coverage or recommended format. I'm talking about lenses that are marked as APO-Symmar 5x6/240 Multicoat (no letter designation) which by my research seem to have a 352mm IC and in Copal 3 shutter. Is this correct? Going simply by that information I'm inclined to think it might be a good interum choice as a moderate 8x10" wide angle (if I lose out on finding a good 210mm), but sniffing around further it seems Schneider themselves recommended it be used for 5x7". What's the general concensus for this lens? Is it a good choice for shooting 8x10 if one doesn't want to spend the earth?

What about the Rodenstock APO Sironar N 240mm MC, IC of 350mm(?) and marked 72º? (It's also recommended by Rodenstock for 5x7" use.) I see these aren't badly priced either, and IC seems to indicate it'd be okay on 8x10" with movements?

I've used a 10" Wide Field Ektar before and loved it, espeically the huge IC. I see they are selling for quite a bit now, but how do they actually compare to the above? I'm assuming it'll be much sharper when getting near the limits of the other lenses IC?

Thanks again, just trying to do my research before it comes time to buy. 8x10" lenses are somewhat new territory for me, having come from 4x5" and digital medium format capture using Linhof cameras and Rodenstock digital lenses. I'm catching up on what the market is like and where the happy middle ground ballance of performance VS cost of entry can be found...

Tim

Re: 240mm lens for 8x10"

Hello Tim,
    If you are willing to live with a little less coverage (336mm I believe), consider the Fujinon 240 A. They are compact, light and very sharp. A great lens for both 4x5 and 8x10.

All the best with your search.

Hi Tim:
    Consider the 250mm Fuji 6.7 inside lettering single coated as an alternative to a 240 mm lens. I used to use a 10 inch wide field ektar also but happily switched to the fuji
    for smaller size and smaller lens board. I never looked back and couldnt be happier with the Fuji. I also use the 210 Fuji with 8x10.
    All the best,
    Arthur

IMHO in one side you have the choice of a Fujinon A f/9 at 225gr, or a faster f/5.6 lens like R. Sironar, Symmar-S or Nikon W at around 800gr.

For hiking the A floats in the air, for portraiture I'd prefer a f/5.6 beast.

Quote Originally Posted by arthur berger View Post
    Hi Tim:
    Consider the 250mm Fuji 6.7 inside lettering single coated as an alternative to a 240 mm lens. I used to use a 10 inch wide field ektar also but happily switched to the fuji
    for smaller size and smaller lens board. I never looked back and couldnt be happier with the Fuji. I also use the 210 Fuji with 8x10.
    All the best,
    Arthur
    I'd agree with Arthur wholeheartedly here about the 250 f6.7
    Inexpensive, small (Copal 1 shutter), very good performer, and massive coverage.
    Can be used for portraits or as a general-purpose semi-wide.
    I never liked the 210-W on 8x10, though it covers well enough. I'm not sure exactly why, probably because the sweet spot of the lens falls somewhere between 4x5 and 5x7, and the flaws become more apparent on 8x10.

I have both the Fuji 250/6.7 and the Fuji A 240. Both a great lenses, but I much prefer the 240 A; especially for backpacking the 8x10.

Coverage with 240mm lenses is an issue on 8x10 that one needs to properly attend to if shooting infinity. The exceptions I have used where this is not an issue are the 240mm Computar and the 250mm Wide Field Ektar. I have experience vignetting with the 250mm F6.7 Fuji although in retrospect I was likely pushing it with both rise and tilt. Live and learn as they say.

That being said I am really enjoying the Docter 240mm W F9 lens in Copal 1 that is multi coated and very small and light. It is my favorite macro and semi macro lens with this format and as long as you check your corners (as I continue to remind myself with all lenses) you are good to go.

A 240 Dagor would get the job done, too, with plenty of coverage.

I have both 250mm WF Ektar and 240 G Claron. No complaints. How they compare with Fuji, Symmar and the rest I couldn't tell you
    I do like the WF Ektar for architecture---huge coverage.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I own the Fuji 250/6.7 lens. It feels like the 35mm lens for my old Contax 35mm camera. I paid $300 for my Fuji lens a few years ago but have since seen them go for $250 and even less. They are a bargain!

Why not buy both a 210 and a 240 or 250 lens. If you are shooting a certain subject and really need more coverage you can always compromise and swap the 240/250 for the 210.

You could also pony up the bucks for a Schneider 165mm Super Angulon. They will run you north of $1000 and weigh as much as a boat anchor though.

Of course you could also just shoot a 90 on 4x5.

Shooting 8x10 can be full of compromises at the short focal lengths.