Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide: V700, V750, V800, V850

Re: Help me decide: V700, V750, V800, V850

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    To me epson scan is good, but it does not support Multi-Exposure, so for slides with deep shadows (if you want to recover detail there) you should use SF SE Plus.
    Okay. Vuescan supports multiscan so I will have to compare to SF. The version that ships with scanner does not seem to be able to save 16 bit files. It scans in 16 bit, but then converts to 8 bit. Ie, the option called 48>24. Is there a way to save as 16 file without having to create an HDR or HDRi raw file that I then have to use another SF program to read?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Okay. Vuescan supports multiscan so I will have to compare to SF. The version that ships with scanner does not seem to be able to save 16 bit files. It scans in 16 bit, but then converts to 8 bit. Ie, the option called 48>24. Is there a way to save as 16 file without having to create an HDR or HDRi raw file that I then have to use another SF program to read?
    Steve, it's the same. SilverFast calls HDR the way to save 16bits per channel into TIFF format.

http://www.silverfast.com/show/silverfast-hdr/en.html

With EpsonScan you can scan 16bits/ch and saving to jpeg, but then only 8bits are saved, see it in Ps...

IHMO important scanned images should always be saved in TIFF, as it also offers compression without loss, it is the standard format for print production, so a good way.

I use Epson Scan if not needing M-E, Vuescan should be also a nice choice...

I am following most of this thread...thanks, Steve and Pere! What is HDR and HDRi?
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    I am following most of this thread...thanks, Steve and Pere! What is HDR and HDRi?
    I think its silverfasts fancy name for saving the file in 16bit with no profile correction, no gamma correction. (the equivalent to viewscans raw).

The HDRi is the version with the infrared channel, both formats because they are close to the raw output of the scanner allow reprocessing by the scanner software as many times as you like. Vuescan offers the exact same feature.

I am surprised silverfast does not offer saving a 16bit tiff with ICM profile, and gamma correction. i.e. sRGB or some other encoding? The only really difference between silverfast and any software is in fact the proprietary processing algorithms used in the particular program. So if you don't make use of them you are essentially wasting your money...

There is one distinct feature to viewscan that I like and that is the manual exposure control, which is handy for batch applications, among a few other things.

Regarding the original question: help me decide: V700, V750, V800, V850?

They are almost identical! So I would get the 'cheapest' one factoring in things like warranty and possible repair costs etc, and I would prefer the V700, v750 film holder, in combination with something aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    What is HDR and HDRi?
    http://www.silverfast.com/show/silverfast-hdr/en.html

For those who have more than one scanner, and still want to use silverfast and only purchase one copy...

from their site

Since SilverFast HDR never drives the scanner directly, it can be used with RAW data files produced from scanners that SilverFast doesn't normally support. Simply scan the file with no correction using the original scan software, and then pass the resulting TIFF file to SilverFast HDR. Now you will have all of SilverFast's tools at your disposal!

This is interesting on the HDR, I am going to give it a try. I tried the HDRi and it was whacked in photoshop. Hopefully, I just did something wrong. It is nice to have a couple pieces of software that do the same thing almost. In engineering, I have found that one of the finite element programs I use will not always work with a particular geometry file, but will work with a different type of file. I am currently experimenting right now.

ON Vuescan, has anyone played around with the number of samples during scan to reduce noise? Currently I working using the 16 samples which drags out the final scan. I am curious if anyone has found if fewer samples will give as good results as 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    ON Vuescan, has anyone played around with the number of samples during scan to reduce noise? Currently I working using the 16 samples which drags out the final scan. I am curious if anyone has found if fewer samples will give as good results as 16.
    Well, I for one will be interested in the answer to this. I have never done more than 4 samples. This would also be an interesting question to put to Hamrick for their newsletter.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

I have been using 16 scans and it is no slower on my epson v850 than using 2 scans. I haven't compared any photos, but I do notice there is practically no noise in the photo so I am staying with 16.

I am now experimenting with scanning an AA turned off (anti-aliasing). I will have some comparisons of that. Plus difference between 2400dpi and 4000dpi with AA on and off. 2400dpi will be with AA on though.