Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 210mm for 8x10"

210mm for 8x10"

Hi all,

I've done some searching and read the spreadsheets here and various other places, but what are peoples opinions on 210mm lens options for 8x10"?

I'm used to shooting wide on 4x5" (I like 90mm, but slightly tighter is okay too), and all the lenses I've used in that format have had tons of IC for big movements. In 8x10" it seems that IC is a problem with wide lenses, at least in terms of what I'm used to. I like to shoot in tight spaces, with a lot of front rise.

What do people think with regards to the best performing lens of this focal length that isn't going to cost me a fortune, but also gives generous room for movements? Does anything actually exist that fits this bill, or am I essentially limited to 240mm lenses?

Thanks,

Tim

Re: 210mm for 8x10"

210mm Graphic Kowa is a good choice. They used to be available around $500 but I haven't kept up with the market. There's some discussion on these on the forum, and you'll find that there is some controversy on just how large the IC is. I haven't ever been able to max out the rise on my cameras with the Graphic Kowa, and unless you are doing something totally crazy I think you'll be fine - if you need more IC the Computar lens may have a bit more, but is a lot more expensive.

I don't know anything else in the same league, at that focal length.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks for the reply. It does indeed seem a hard act in 8x10" capture to get a good lens of this focal length with good IC for movements. The price for the lenses with massive IC is appropriately massive – like the digital tech lenses I've been using with digital MF capture. I'll have to keep an eye out for a Graphic Kowa or Computar F9.

If anyone else has suggestions, throw them out there! Even if it's a shorter lens, I'd like to hear of other options worth thinking about.

210 Super-Angulon are sold around 1000€, 500mm circle.

this is a search for sold items https://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?LH_Co...c&LH_PrefLoc=2

Grandagon N 200 is another classic choice, harder to find, I guess.

Kowa and Computar circles:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post851877

The early Fujinon 210mm W or WS models have 352 IC. These are the ones with the writing on the inside of the lens barrel not the outside. They are suprisingly inexpensive.

I don't shoot a lot of 8x10 (tend to go smaller or larger)...but my guess is that if this were an alternate universe - with LF camera/lens/film R+D and manufacturing still active and evolving (would be amazing!) that there would be great options for compact wides to moderate wides for all formats.

The Fujinon that Dentkimterry mentions give moderate room for movements. I own one and like it very much. Another lens that comes up at an affordable price from time to time is the 8 3/4" Dagor. Wide open it barely covers, but stopped down to f22 it has about the same image circle as the Fuji. I haven't used the Gold-Rim Dagor, but I understand it has even better coverage, although that can be quite pricey.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

The 210 G Claron covers 8x10. Not a lot of wiggle room though it is small and lightweight compared to a Super Angulon.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi, some more:
    Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Symmar HM 5.6/210mm; IC 356mm
    Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Symmar XL 5.6/210mm; IC 500mm
    Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-W 5.6/210mm; IC 352mm

Best
    Jens

Up to last year was using a 210mm Fujinon-W S with inside lettering. Then acquired a 210mm f/5.6 Nikkor W with outside lettering (think all 210mm Nikkor W's had outside lettering, but not sure). Both have 6 elements in 4 groups, but diameter of the front element of the Nikkor is larger and drawings of cross sections of the 2 lenses differ a little. Shot 8x10s with both at f/45 on center, and I couldn't see any differences in both negatives. Have to shoot with both off center and see which one covers more. In the meantime prefer the Nikkor but can't tell you exactly why.