Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clear Thinking on Nikon 450 F9?

Clear Thinking on Nikon 450 F9?

I bought this lens based on its reputation and was not disappointed on the quality of the images and the performance of my particular example's shutter.

However, I don't think I should keep it based on my shooting style and environmental constraints.

In summary, I don't shoot large format out of the house. I mainly shoot headshot portraits and still life, relatively up close at that.

I constantly struggle to find the required lens-to-subject distance and/or bellows extension to use this lens easily.

I can shoot 8x10, 5x7 and 4x5 and end up working with a 150mm lens on 8x10 and 5x7 regularly.

I am planning to sell this Nikon 450 lens to someone who can use it with more regularity.

From those who have more experience in LF and, more specifically, with this lens, am I coming to a reasonable conclusion?

I look forward to your input.

jrp

Re: Clear Thinking on Nikon 450 F9?

Am considering the Nikkor-AM ED 210mm F5.6 to replace it.

I was using this yesterday to explore possibilities in my new studio.

It worked great for an hour and then it timed out and they want you to buy.

But very cool for shifting all variables in any space. With superb visualization tools. Don't forget to rotate the subject. Doesn't have an iOS app which I find a big problem. Works best in Chrome on anything else. 11X14" to 1/6" sensor.

https://dofsimulator.net/en/

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    However, I don't think I should keep it based on my shooting style and environmental constraints.
    From those who have more experience in LF and, more specifically, with this lens, am I coming to a reasonable conclusion?

I look forward to your input.

jrp
    Who else than you, can know better if you need the lens or not? I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Who else than you, can know better if you need the lens or not? I wonder.
    You'd be surprised how little I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    You'd be surprised how little I know.
    Ok. Then keep the lens and use it, widen your horizons and surprise yourself. How's that?

I'm not sure if that was a pun or if you meant that literally but, widening my horizons isn't an option. My camera, head, tripod weigh a TON and taking it out isn't really an option. Not to mention, I'm really committed to my current style.

I was really trying to understand if I was missing something regarding technique or in a technical nature in my decision process.

Once I was staying in a flat of my friend for his vacations. I took my 600C Fuji lens and put it on a camera - the tripod was in the kitchen. I was taking pics of high mountain tops out of the kitchen window. The scenery was changing constantly, each day was different. I was just cherry picking the best scenes. The pics were breathtaking. I wish I could stay in the flat every year. Just to say.

Based on your shooting parameters, I would think that using a 450mm (18") lens would be difficult and, perhaps, cumbersome. Think of it this way, to get a 1:1 relationship on film with this lens would require 36" of bellows draw! 3 feet!! That's a lot of bellows and maintaining stability at that extension would be difficult. How much bellows extension does your bellows allow? Will it go to, at least, 27"? That might provide a workable image on the film that you could crop into, as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Once I was staying in a flat of my friend for his vacations. I took my 600C Fuji lens and put it on a camera - the tripod was in the kitchen. I was taking pics of high mountain tops out of the kitchen window. The scenery was changing constantly, each day was different. I was just cherry picking the best scenes. The pics were breathtaking. I wish I could stay in the flat every year. Just to say.
    I hear ya...