Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5 x 8.5 cameras/negatives---who has???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

6.5 x 8.5 cameras/negatives---who has???

Who has a 6.5 x 8.5 field camera? I have one, an Scovill Albion Field camera (1880's-90's) with its original Rochester Victor lens- which I have restored and use on occasion---however, I have had to make the following adjustments/alterations. 1. Since film of this size (Ilford) is a rarity & costly, I have resorted to using 5x7 film inserts (Rochester) in the original film holders---hence my negatives are 5x7 Ilford film. 2. Since Scovill 6.5 x 8.5 film holders are also a very rare commodity, (I have yet to see any on Ebay), I have had to resort to using Rochester 6.5 x 8.5 film holders which a woodsmith has had to slightly alter to accommodate the Scovill camera---There are some issues holding the Rochester film holders in place against the Scovill camera--some issues with the camera set at horizontal or vertical, however, I have managed to circumvent these minor issues.

I am still in the testing stages regarding the original lens---to use or not. I only have 2 Rochester film holders (4 sheets of film total), so testing is a long process.

As an alternative, I have made a lens board, and could use another lens besides the Rochester Victor lens--a modern Ilex 152mm which has produced good negatives on a 4x5 camera. I have as yet not determined which way to go regarding lenses, but since I only have 4 sheets of film, perhaps I should be using a trusted modern lens as compared to the Victor lens itself. Your thoughts?

So who is using this sized film camera/s? and your situation.

Raymond

Re: 6.5 x 8.5 cameras/negatives---who has???

Bought a japanese whole plate camera that came with 3 backs. Richard Ritter made me a back that works with the Chamonix holders and I bought FP4 during the Ilford special order for film. Actually quite a simple process!
    Best, Peter

Dave Karp

I have a WP Improved Seneca. Years ago, Jim from Western Bellows made a new bellows for it. I have a variety of holders that are built to the Eastman "standard." I too purchase WP film during the Ilford special order period. I also own an ARCA Swiss monorail. I had a WP back built for it and Custom Bellows made a bellows that reduces to the ARCA 171 front standard. This one camera with three different back/bellows combinations gives me a 4x5, a 5x7, and a WP camera.

I've had several, but what I kept was a whole bunch of film holders, 19 last count, and I have 2 backs that size, one fits my venerable Kodak 2D 8X10 and one fits the Century Studio #10 upstairs.

What I like about the size is that I have some rolls of aerial recon Panatomic X that I love, and when I cut that off the long roll, if I make 8X10 there's more wasted than if I cut it at 6.5 and then make a little cut to get me to the 8.5 Been shooting a lot of it lately. 6.5X8.5 is an elegant size for contact prints.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img336s.jpg   img348s.jpg   img341s.jpg  

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I've had several, . . .
    My Seneca was one of them! :-)

Thanks Jim! I really like the WP format. I agree, the size makes for a nice contact print.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post

Thanks Jim! I really like the WP format. I agree, the size makes for a nice contact print.
    I couldn't remember if the black beauty was full plate or 5X7 :~'))

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post

And, I have one of Jim's WP's too ... :-) .... great format for contact printing.

Toyo field half plate camera with a whole plate extension back and Toyo whole plate film holders. Ilford whole plate film (HP5) is a bit on the long side so I have some issues with the Toyo whole plate film holders.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Dave Karp

You later sold me a 5x7 back for it too!

Whole Plate Gandolfi Universal here (and a 275mm Eidoscope on the way.) 6 holders. 2 Kodak GB holders, which are very nice and 4 scruffy Eastman holders. I have a couple boxes of 400TMY 6 1/2 x 8 1/2, but I see myself cutting down 8x10 film in future.