Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New Color Carbon Printing Service business... A new trend ?

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: New Color Carbon Printing Service business... A new trend ?

It is awesome to see these young guys push the envelope so to speak. You guys are all light years beyond me. Like Bob says I'll stick with what I know. Single transfer monochrome carbon prints from the negatives I produce from the cameras I build. It is my simple way. Whatever works best for each of us is the way to go. It is great to watch.

Drew Wiley

That was sure fun. But I'd hardly call lapis blue "dirt". If so, it's the most expensive dirt you've ever seen. And the notion of going out and grinding your own yellow ochre and red oxide distinctly risks mineral contaminants which might lead to bonding failure between the gelatin layers over time. Besides, those kinds of colorants are indeed "dirt cheap" already ground up and dispersed on industrial scale. And there is a long track record of toxicity with certain kinds of mere "dirt"popular for art and cosmetic purposes over the millennia, including chromium oxide green.
    I guess you could grind carnelian or rubies or precious coral to get a magenta, select malachite or jade for cyan, and amber for yellow. That way you'd have even more bragging rights for the most expensive print on earth to make. But I'm certainly going to watch more videos on his site. He's got a nice setup. Wish I had that kind of elbow room. Maybe I could send him some of that noxious yellowish fire ash that's collected atop my lab roof, and see what kind of picture it would work for.
    But I've seen a number of lovely full color carbon prints done with simple in-camera negatives, no digital tweaks involved.

Definitely a great idea and I'm thinking of starting my own business setting up a shop. There are many ideas I have in mind and I would love to see coming in life, but since there are a lot of friends who failed with the opening of their business i'm going to be more careful in order to not have the same fate. I'm looking to make some unique t-shirts with my own design and sell them locally. I know it's not something really innovative but I have done a good concept testing that showed me good potential overall.
    Last edited by LovecraftXIX; 12-Mar-2021 at 09:28.

Just incredible, thanks for sharing.

I am benefiting from Calvin's work, I am now using his five pigments for gum and they are very good, I think he is finding a bigger market with Gum printers than Carbon printers so you will see a lot of new and interesting approaches from him, he is spraying on Gum emulsions now. Very good time for us as there are tons of younger people getting on the hand made print wagon, unfortunately they are not on this forum but rather FB.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I am benefiting from Calvin's work, I am now using his five pigments for gum and they are very good, I think he is finding a bigger market with Gum printers than Carbon printers so you will see a lot of new and interesting approaches from him, he is spraying on Gum emulsions now. Very good time for us as there are tons of younger people getting on the hand made print wagon, unfortunately they are not on this forum but rather FB.
    I think your own youtube videos have helped make the gum process accessible.

Last night I watched the four print one again.

You're a great teacher.