Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Color Carbon Printing Service business... A new trend ?

New Color Carbon Printing Service business... A new trend ?

It is not usual to discover a Pro Color Carbon Printing Service business based in my country... nor it isn't a Pro BW carbonist...

Work looks based in digital negatives, but I got impressed by the quality of the carbon jobs made by him.

Just I liked to point that something is moving faster than it was suposed...

Let's see this guy: Calvin Grier, now offering (announced) color carbon service

http://thewetprint.com/en/color-carbon-transfer-prints/

http://thewetprint.com/en/clients/

These are Calvin's videos... https://www.youtube.com/user/calving...able_polymer=1

He looks of english origin but based in Lliria, (Valencia), SPAIN http://thewetprint.com/en/contact/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voKGFucxDro

Sometimes we have bad news like Acros LF discontinuation... but then something hapens that overruns it... amazing news... a young photographer/printer making a bet for HQ jobs in carbon, on an "small" enlarger from Rusia !!!

Some images are 1000 words worth...

Re: New Color Carbon Printing Service business... A new trend ?

John Bentley and Todd Gangler have been offering Colour Carbon Prints for over 20 years now, I am very please to see this new worker pushing boundaries as well.

For me I went down the Carbon Route, but I fell in love with Gum Dichromate and Palladium.. different strokes for different folks.

Sandy King also makes tri colour carbons and monochrome carbons.

Almost all the above workers will offer one on one workshops, ... I am only offering intro level into gum over palladium, as I prefer to work with artists on commission jobs which is much more satisfying for me .. But I do love teaching every once and awhile.

Bob, carbon isn't a novelty , of course...

But what is surprising to me is that young photographers are engaging in locations with low LF/traditional activity

My perception is that there is much more LF activity in California alone than in the whole EU, so those mentioned cases perhaps are suggesting that internet makes a divulgation of LF/traditional photography that may rescue LF from a decline. IMHO there is an impressive LF subculture that can be valued by new generations of photographers, and this may modify the LF fate, perhaps in the future it will be an imaging subculture, but with hardcore practitioners, just guessing...

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Bob, carbon isn't a novelty , of course...
    Pere,

Calvin Grier is an American who has been living in Spain for a number of years, very fluent in Spanish. Not sure what got him interested in carbon printing but he has spent a lot of time learning to master the process, including both monochrome and color, and offers printmaking services, and also workshops. There are very few persons in the world (you can count them on one hand) with the expertise to teach color carbon printing so Calvin appears to have carved out a fairly unique niche. Calvin offered a fairly long description of his learning process with color carbon in a recent thread on the carbon forum on groups.io. Very interesting work flow, as you can read for yourself.

https://groups.io/g/carbon/topic/cmy...20,2,0,9644583

Nearly all commercial color carbon work today is done with digital negatives made with imagesetter output devices rather than continuous tone film or inkjet separations. This is primarily due to the fact that exact exposure is much easier with dot type negatives, and also to the unique nature of carbon printing which makes retention of the highest highlights impossible with continuous tone negatives.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy, this is a really interesting thread... thanks for pointing it.

I've also reviewed John Bentley and Tod Gangler.

Pere

It does not surprise me whatsoever that a young photographer/artist has learned this wonderful process and is offering it as a service... Today more than ever there is more opportunity with the blending of digital negatives and historic processes to allow someone to learn , master and produce for others. This is exciting, as well as those folks in Russia making the 20 x24 Cameras, or Gary Yaum in Alberta constructing that monster Wet Plate Cameral. You only have to look to David Hymans in Salt Lake City to see this small business plan in action.

Also to be mentioned in this particular process , Carbon, we are lucky to have Sandy King around , he has been a mentor, educator, friend of mine for over 20 years and not once did he ever hold back any information, he has always been a resource for me and many others. Without some of the people today who have made prints for the better part of their life, trading openly information we would not see this resurgence.

I can thank Ian Leake, Ian Grant, Sam Wang, Bill Schwab, Christina Anderson and many many others who have openly embraced conversation and methods and ideas.

For example a young woman from Montreal took a course with Sandy 6 years ago or so at my facility and today she is making art shows with Carbon, I make silver negatives for her and she goes on her way and makes carbon transfer prints.. We are seeing a alternative show of over 400 images all by emerging and existing artists. http://lonsdalegallery.com/upcoming-...re-exhibition/

Carissa(my production manager who is quite young) and I are working with Photrio to offer Symposiums of various lengths, compositions over the next year, slated are Toronto , San Francisco, Montreal and a small town in South West France. These Symposiums are dedicated to do educate and inform people at a very direct interaction of teacher and student.

I truly believe we have gone back in time to 1973 when I first started printing , the excitement and possibilities are endless right now.

Bob, I belive the same

...IMHO while digital has enterily solved practical photography it happens that hand crafting of images triggers an special involvement of the artist in the image. Perhaps this is something that is being rediscovered.

Also now there is a lot of divulgation in internet, ...and also hybrid process allows for new ways.

Really that exhibition http://lonsdalegallery.com/upcoming-...re-exhibition/ looks powerful !!!

I feel happy when I see that this kind of works are arising !

Drew Wiley

There used to be a number of color carbon or carbro printers here in the Bay Area, including a few individuals who temporarily devised commercial tweaks - one of them capable of large prints, but not having the beauty of little handmade ones. It takes a lot of money to go commercial, and so far has proven a great risk. People like Todd Gangler are actually hand printers. The only true commercial operation which has survived is the idiosyncratic old Fresson direct carbon screen process (vs carbon transfer). A real breakthrough requires a new class of nano process pigments - not here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    People like Todd Gangler are actually hand printers. The only true commercial operation which has survived is the idiosyncratic old Fresson direct carbon screen process (vs carbon transfer).
    Drew,

What is your definition of commercial? Tod Gangler operates a facility (http://www.colorcarbonprint.com) that offers high end custom printing services in both inkjet and carbon transfer? How is this fundamentally different from the Fresson commercial operation, which also involves hand coated materials and a custom service?

Bob,

I am aware of John Bentley's personal work with color carbon printing, in fact met him at your place many years ago when you were at Digital Elevator. John's work has great artistic interest, in my opinion, but I did not know he also offered printing services? Did I misunderstand your comment?

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 21-Feb-2018 at 20:01.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Drew Wiley

Hi Sandy. Commercial in the sense of printing for other people is one thing. But what I was implying was setting up an industrial-scale operation involving a significant investment in volume pigment coatings, patents, etc - something almost impossible to break even with in competition with inkjet technology. You might think I'm nuts, but having seen absolutely wonderful tricolor carbon prints in the past printed from basic in-camera film separations, it's the route I'm tempted to experiment with, though I'll probably run a few dye transfer prints first, which can be enlarged. I've pretty much pinned down consistent separations. Least of my worries at this point. But if I ever get to something resembling carbons, it will be a new tweak.