Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recognizing dagor type G-Clarons

Recognizing dagor type G-Clarons

I recently came by a dagor type 150/9 G-Claron and wondered what we collectively know about telling dagor type G-Clarons from plasmat types. There's been disagreement about using a serial number test (what is the last dagor type s/n?) and about the existence of 355/9 dagor types. Here's the answer:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AggQfcczvHGN0kIjB_63NhzCEsV5 This link is to a spreadsheet that summarizes what I found. It is in the list.

Short form, there are indeed 355/9 dagor types. The usual serial number test (>12,000,000 = plasmat) isn't quite right. Its close but there are dagor types with serial numbers > 12,000,000 and plasmat types with serial numbers < 12,000,000. 11,000,000, as was suggested in some of the posts I read, definitely isn't where the change occurred. And the two types have different front and rear filter threads, focal length for focal length.

When a G-Claron is in hand, the reflections test still works. Four strong, no weak reflections from each cell = plasmat, two strong and two weak, often hard to see, = dagor.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 1-Feb-2018 at 04:56. Reason: afterthought

Re: Recognizing dagor type G-Clarons

I used a 1988 (plasmat) 150/9 G-Claron for many years on the job. It excelled at the close-up and copy work I used it for. I wonder if the Dagor-formula G-Claron was replaced because the newer design was better optically, or just less expensive to make? I'd like to know what you think of your new one, once you've tried it out.

Mark, it will be a little while before I try it out. When I do, I'll try it on 6x12.

I've had three 240/9 dagpr type G-Clarons. All went through acceptance testing on 2x3 before I sold them. All three shot very well on 2x3 at near and far distances.

I've had one 150/9 plasmat type G-Claron. It wasn't as good on 2x3 as either of my 150/9 Klimsch Apo-Ronars so I sold it. Unfortunately my little Klimsches don't conform to the published Apo-Ronar specs, their cells are not direct fits in any known shutter. And although they cover 2x3, they don't cover 6x12, let alone 4x5. Both versions of the 150 cover around 190 mm at f/22 at infinity.

I can only speculate about why Schneider replace the dagor types with plasmat types. Cost to make may have been a reason. And the air space gives the designer another degree of freedom, hence perhaps better corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AggQfcczvHGN0kIjB_63NhzCEsV5 This link is to a spreadsheet that summarizes what I found. It is in the list.

When a G-Claron is in hand, the reflections test still works. Four strong, no weak reflections from each cell = plasmat, two strong and two weak, often hard to see, = dagor.
    So took a close look at my 355mm G-Claron. Serial # is 13XXXXXX. Filter threads on the front are 77mm and 72mm on the rear which should put it into the Dagor type. But looking at the internal reflections, I am 99% sure it's a Plasmat. Was told it was one of the last ones made by Schneider, but have my doubts....

Greg, thanks very much for checking my work and pushing back when you found a discrepancy. I checked again -- no one should proofread his own work -- and found that I'd misread the catalogs. Shame on me. All corrected now.

Cheers,

Dan

This continues to be a fun subject. I see you linked that thread I made about 305mm GC lenses in your spreadsheet.

I'll mention one interesting thing I learned from that whole thread again now - there appears to be some G-Clarons around the "cutoff" serial numbers that do not follow the catalog in terms of filter threads or barrel/shutter sizes - possibly discrepancies from the changeover in design. Just recently someone posted on the LF Facebook group about a 240mm GC, serial in the 13 million range, that did not conform to the standard Copal #1 sizing. In theory I thought it would be a Plasmat with that serial #, but who knows.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I have a 270 G-Claron, Ser 10 486 50X. Definitely the Dagor type, two strong reflections clearly visible. One weak one is also visible. I posted this only because I did not see any 270's on the spreadsheet. L

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1571.1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	174318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1570.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	174319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1572.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	174320
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 8-Feb-2018 at 06:38.

Luis, do you know roughly what the usable image circle on the 270mm Dagor is? I'm wondering if it covers 8x20 (~550mm), or if the 305mm is the limit on that kind of coverage.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Luis, do you know roughly what the usable image circle on the 270mm Dagor is? I'm wondering if it covers 8x20 (~550mm), or if the 305mm is the limit on that kind of coverage.
    Not really sure, I suspect it would be similar to an 10 3/4" Dagor. It should cover 8x10 fine, probably a little shy of 11x14, but I've not tired it. L

Thanks, Luis. Added to list.