Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10" film holders, Toyo / Fidelity / Lisco etc: fit to Gibellini camera?

Re: 8x10" film holders, Toyo / Fidelity / Lisco etc: fit to Gibellini camera?

Tim, I'll make a suggestion based on my own past experiences with Gibellini; you're free to take it or ignore it. This really only applies if you're in North America.
    Get in touch with Richard Ritter in Vermont, and send him your camera when he will be available to work on it.
    I've no direct experience with him, but he makes his own cameras and is well-versed in the use of various woods and metals.
    If you find a Toyo holder, even as a loaner, send it to Richard so he can take care of that problem at the same time.
    It's worth paying Richard the repair money, rather than trying to get a free repair from Gibellini.

Thanks Ari,

I don't want or expect Gibellini to do the repair for free. I'm not the original owner and I have no idea what has caused the wood to warp – it's a natural material afterall, so prone to happen.

If Gibellini however aren't keen to reply with a price to do it I will start exploring other options like Richard Ritter. I've had a few email exchanges with them and received a price to repair plus upgrade the focusing mechanism, but not a price for the repair alone. Communication is a little stunted, due mostly I think to time difference and language. Fingers crossed they give me a better idea of cost of repairs soon.

Hi Tim,
    One reason I suggested Richard is because when I sent my camera in to Alessandro, it took months for him to repair it, and longer to send me a refund for the FedEx Priority shipping (~$500.00).
    The main repair needed was the light leak caused by use of a Toyo holder, but all of it was under warranty, as the camera had been with me for only a month or two before I shipped it out to him.
    If cost of shipping & repair isn't important, perhaps your time spent using the camera is more valuable.

Thanks Ari,

Appreciate the honest and direct answer. Yes, I would rather be using the camera that waiting for months for it to return... I'm lucky I have other brilliant gear to use in the meantime, but nothing as fun or lush to use as the 8x10". Plus I want to use the camera on a large commision during the second half of the year, so time is of the essence there...

Thanks again,

Tim

I just got my Wisner back from Ritter, it needed a complete overhaul and it was only gone for about a week.

Wow, that’s quick turn around.
    I’d be keen to hear what he did and how much it cost.
    T

I've heard back from Gibellini as to the cost of the repair and some additional modifications to the camera. Have also emailed Richard Ritter to see what he says. That was a few days ago and no reply yet, but hopefully he'll elaborate on what services he can provide and if he'll deal with someone from New Zealand.