Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bergger Pancro 400 in sheets

Re: Bergger Pancro 400 in sheets

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...newton rings are almost impossible to avoid in glass carriers. Delta 100 sheet film's emulsion side's glossiness falls between those two, but is much closer to TMY-2's. I've never managed to get a Newton's ring with Delta 100 sheet film. Extreme high humidity ambient conditions might be sufficient to cause them, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Interesting - I've had a hell of a time trying to get rid of Newton rings on a Kodak pin registered contact print frame with both Delta & HP5+ - to the point that getting an AN glass for it seems the only solution - and room humidity isn't higher than about 55%.
    Please note that my post referred to film's emulsion side contacting bottom glass in a negative carrier. With contact printing, your rings are coming from the film's base side touching frame glass. Every sheet film I'm aware of does that (except 320TXP, which has a dull base-side retouching coating) and almost demands anti-Newton glass when contact printing. This also applies to a glass negative carrier's top glass. All of my enlarger glass carriers are configured with plain bottom and anti-Newton top glasses.

Drew Wiley

Most of my carriers have AN glass BOTH sides. If it is high-quality AN glass there is no degredation in image sharpness whatsoever. None, nada, nil, nix.

Please note that my post referred to film's emulsion side contacting bottom glass in a negative carrier. With contact printing, your rings are coming from the film's base side touching frame glass. Every sheet film I'm aware of does that (except 320TXP, which has a dull base-side retouching coating) and almost demands anti-Newton glass when contact printing. This also applies to a glass negative carrier's top glass. All of my enlarger glass carriers are configured with plain bottom and anti-Newton top glasses.
    Of course - this is obvious & logical, and yet I didn't think this one through...

The retouching coating would have been pretty common (nearly universal?) in the era of that frame, so it makes sense!

Drew Wiley

I just masked some Bergger 200. It's a luxury. Neither side is terribly smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    D76 1:1 in a Jobo CPE2 at low speed for 17'30" at 20ºC, four sheets maximum to the reel. This was in 2015.

I rate the film at 320 ASA, which works for me and my system.

Beautiful negatives.

Mick.
    Hi everyone,

After I started with 4x5 I also turned away from TRI-X and to Pancro 400 soon.
    Based upon a clip on youtube I shoot it at 200 iso and develop it with Spur Acurol-N 1+50 for 13 minutes at 20 degrees celsius. 30 seconds constant then every minute 3x. But this is in a big manual processed tank.
    I love the results for contrasty scenery.

Now for my first 8x10 I also decided to go for Pancro 400 and shot my first 2 test images today.
    As I have currently only D-76 around and also want to use a big rotation (unicolor) drum I am wondering if anyone has experience with that combination yet and could give me some useful tipps, please?

Reading the quoted post I might just go for 13 minutes as well?

Thanks a lot, Miguel

I gave it a try with 17 minutes as the scenery was only having about 3 stops range and I wanted to to give it some more contrast with longer developing.
    As it was my first tryout with 8x10 and the unicolor rotating machine, I am quite satisfied with the results, just looking the negative to a light source.
    As I have no scanner here, I will directly of go for some contact printing and cyanotypes in the next days to see what can come out of it.
    Excited I am...

I recently bought, ran through EI/development testing of, and finally shot with / printed 5x7 Pancro 400. On ADOX MCC 110 (I stocked up before production of that paper was temporarily "paused") it makes beautiful images, at least to my taste. Now I'm ready to purchase more of the film in 8x10.

The sole "review" of 8x10 Pancro 400 at B&H

claims extensive quality problems. While B&H sells a lot of this film in 4x5 and 5x7, its stock of 8x10 seems to languish. Question to the community: have you had any quality issues with 8x10 Pancro 400? If so, what were they, and how frequently did you experience them? Thanks in advance for your replies.

I recently bought, ran through EI/development testing of, and finally shot with / printed 5x7 Pancro 400. On ADOX MCC 110 (I stocked up before production of that paper was temporarily "paused") it makes beautiful images, at least to my taste. Now I'm ready to purchase more of the film in 8x10.

The sole "review" of 8x10 Pancro 400 at B&H

claims extensive quality problems. While B&H sells a lot of this film in 4x5 and 5x7, its stock of 8x10 seems to languish. Question to the community: have you had any quality issues with 8x10 Pancro 400? If so, what were they, and how frequently did you experience them? Thanks in advance for your replies.
    I've been using Bergger Pancro 400 for several years now, mostly in 8x10 format, and I have never encountered the flaws that review describes. I have however, encountered an occasional sheet that shows a flaw in the emulsion (uneven streak), but I'm talking about 3 sheets in 150. Zero would be nice, but having found only 3 marked sheets to date is something I can live with. Pancro 400 is quite good, and I really enjoy how it performs when exposed at 125 ASA and processed in PMK Pyro.

Don't let one horrible review discourage you from using it. Its currently one of the best buys in 8x10 film.

I encountered such flaws, too, definitely. Now I have bought 400 sheets of Ilford HP5+, that is definitely worth to be produced. I enjoy every negative, developed in HC110 H. It is very reliable. Much more reliable than Bergger. I don't carry large format cameras around to see my efforts ruined.

I used and liked Bergger Pancro 400 4x5 for quite a while, until I encountered a box where half the sheets were missing the notch codes. I now use HP5 in HC110 in Dilution E (21ml per liter). But I liked the character of the Bergger film and may well try it again. (In medium format I generally shoot TMAX400, but I agree it is too dear in sheets for me.)
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."