Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak D76 Recall

Kodak D76 Recall

If you haven't seen this from Kodak Professional's facebook page:

Let’s talk D-76.

If you have Catalog #1058270 (Batch 2020/01/23 8438 & Batch 2019/10/09 8432), you may have noticed a discoloring of your product. Please know we’re aware of this and apologize for the inconvenience or confusion this may have caused for a product you’re well used to.

Rest assured we want to get this taken care of for you. Please email us at ProPaperChem@KodakAlaris.com and our team will be back in touch to provide you with next steps on this specific product.

*If you have the product in your care and have not yet opened it, we encourage you to reach out to us for next steps as well.
    For any questions in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to be in touch with us via email or private message!
    From personal experience, it appears the powder has discolored. They've offered to send replacement.

Re: Kodak D76 Recall

Dang, just purchased 3 bags today. Sent email to address above...will keep you updated.

I looked online, other than Facebook, and could not find any info on this. I even went to the KodakAlaris page that mentioned the problems with Dektol earlier this year and there was no mention of D76 issues.

Typical of KODAK to ignore many things, they only respond to $$$ just like they ignored my KODAK roll film print through issue

Still pissed off about that

KODAK is dinosaur dung

Quote Originally Posted by Fred V View Post
    I looked online, other than Facebook, and could not find any info on this. I even went to the KodakAlaris page that mentioned the problems with Dektol earlier this year and there was no mention of D76 issues.
    Tin Can

Wow, what a mess!
    Kodak Alaris has sold the color negative paper and color chemistry business to the China distributor of Kodak. Alaris switched the manufacturer of the black and white chemistry, not sure if the black and white chemistry is part of the sale.
    I stocked up on XTOL when Tetenal announced the restructuring. Thank goodness Ilford is still getting (I believe ) their powders from Tetenal, I have used Bromophen for prints for years.
    I can always mix my own. I don't know about the quality of the raw chemicals

Photo Chemicals are available at Photographer's Formulary and ArtCraft Chemicals,, but the price of ArtCraft English Amidol, 1/2 pound is about twice the price of the Chinese stuff, last time I looked at the stuff.

D-76 is simpler to whip-up than an old fashioned Southern Pound Cake, and the result, done correctly, it has the advantage of no having the chemical preservatives, Kodak and Ilford use in their D-76 and ID-11 developers, ect.

It's also cheaper, if you buy the Sodium Sulfite in large bulk pales of 25 pounds or more, and the other chemistry which, like the Sodium Sulfite, can be used for many different chemistries, in the larger jars, than the 100 gram stuffs. Mix with local store bought 'distilled water' and you're good to go.

Shop around for the Sodium Sulfite, it's prices can vary greatly, and, if you have a tax license/permit for your business, look at Columbia, S.C., where there is a retail/wholesale (or was) for soap makers, etc, which was the best deal I could find when I bought my 1st 25 Lb. pale of this necessary chemical.

One last thing, look a home beer makers designs for self made magnetic yeast stirrers, and build your own, but, buy from Amazon, several sizes of the small stir device which lays on the bottom of the jar you're mixing/making your chemistry in and use it from the start, wearing a N95 mask and goggles against any ingestion or eye contact with the dry chemicals.

I recommend the largest glass, with handle, measuring/mixing cup/bowel you can find for mixing or large pickle jars with flat, no rounded bottoms.

Be Careful, as hot water in the range of 125F to 140F degrees are called for and Pyrex and Anchor, are good for this.

Wear latex, vinyl or rubber gloves too, Harbor Freight sells nice black, 9 mil. rubber-like gloves in boxes of 50 and with care, and running water, you can wash them off before removing them and use them several time as protection .against contact rashes and allergies.

Last, buy the most current edition of the Dark Room Cook Book and after checking for addendum, in the book and online, go to town with your darkroom chemistry and see where it takes you.

Some folks might only want to mix D-76, others will want to mix their own fixers, wider ranges of developers for film and papers, etc., but go slow, read and reread several time to get your thoughts organized as to how you'll mix, and what and DO NO FORGET ALL THE PROTECTIVE KIT.

Free yourself of the Premixed offerings of Kodak, etc, and enjoy the next 4 week blizzard, or State of Emergency, knowing you have on hand for as much chemistry as you need, to see you through.

IMO.

Eli

Dang, just purchased 3 bags today. Sent email to address above...will keep you updated.
    Good news...just received replacement D76 from Kodak-alaris today. I am hoping other issues they are experiencing get resolved quickly and we can all regain confidence in their products.

Fred

Good news...just received replacement D76 from Kodak-alaris today. I am hoping other issues they are experiencing get resolved quickly and we can all regain confidence in their products.
    Glad to hear it. Mine's supposed to be here in a couple of days.

I was at a local camera store a couple of days ago and the D-76 they had on display turned brown in the package and was advised not to buy it.

I guess that explains why the last two bags of D-76 I purchased were the color of Count Chocula breakfast cereal. Once Kodak gets this problem straightened out, maybe they can work on consistently cutting notches into their sheet film. In the meantime, I'm switching to Ilford!