multiplex

Re: Newly Made Dry Plates and NOS as well - all sizes

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    Arshile would have been proud John.
    thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Nice one AuditorOne!

So the silly thing is my favorite "photo" thus far, playing with these new plates, is this abstract that was more of a happy accident:

"Two Tree"

Mounting it with a bit of space between the plate and a white backing gives a cool 3D effect between the plate and shadow from the lighting.
    Try photographing this plate under cross-polarized light in color or B/W to see what happens...

And try dark field illumination...

Steve K

When I start hardening emulsion, I think Bryan's type of abstract image will be much more difficult to do.

So I could always ensure a non-hardened emulsion is available.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Steve, I don't have large polarizing gels for my lights, and actually all but one of my Speedotron heads needs repair...would that setup have any difference compared to scanning? The dark field illumination just reverses the 'image' right? I can see a "positive" image from these plates when held up with reflected light off a black background.

Jason, I am tempted to go and start developing plates exposed to just light and playing with the emulsion to see what I come up with, but haven't yet. If I really like the results I could always commission a special set of non-hardened emulsion plates. I figure for most usages, it would be better to have hardened emulsion. BTW, I have not used hardener in my fixer (I don't have any).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I've moved a block of posts about plate sizes to the "New Products" thread.

This is a wonderful initiative and we wish it all success. But in the criteria that we use for managing the Forum these plates are not fundamentally different from sheet film. So let's please stick to our established rules - image threads, segregated by 4x5 or larger (LF) vs smaller than that (everything else), for pictures and discussion closely linked to the pictures; technical threads for discussion of technical issues in exposure, processing and printing of the plates; and the New Products thread for discussion of product specifications, availability, etc.

Thanks.

This is my 2nd attempt - first was a disaster 4X5 J. Lane Dry Plate Batch 004.
    I am thrilled with how this came out.
    Not sure if we are permitted to include all the data in the image sharing thread - I could not find a purely technical thread on dry plates. If someone can inform me as to including exposure and processing details here, I'll edit it.

Edit: Just wasn't sure due to Oren's post above, so if this is to much info I''ll re-edit.

8 1/4" Velostigmat II, ISO 2, 8 sec @ f/11, under bare trees and overcast sky's.
    Rodinal 1:24 in 5X7 trays, 5 min @ 67° with agitation as prescribed by J. Lane.
    1 min. wash - 5-6 min. hardening fix - 30 min final wash in standing water, dump and replace every 5 min.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

I think I may speak.

Since yours are 4X5 or larger and this is the LF Image sharing thread traditionally we post and view any and all details a content owner desires to share. You maintain copyright at all times.

Very curious!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Neat image. It's a "thinker".... and causes one to pause and wonder. The fact that the doll's head is cropped out (or IS it? perhaps she's holding it...) makes it that much deeper. It is a doll, right?
    Last edited by William Whitaker; 28-Jan-2018 at 15:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Not sure if we are permitted to include all the data in the image sharing thread - I could not find a purely technical thread on dry plates. If someone can inform me as to including exposure and processing details here, I'll edit it.

Edit: Just wasn't sure due to Oren's post above, so if this is to much info I''ll re-edit.

8 1/4" Velostigmat II, ISO 2, 8 sec @ f/11, under bare trees and overcast sky's.
    Rodinal 1:24 in 5X7 trays, 5 min @ 67° with agitation as prescribed by J. Lane.
    1 min. wash - 5-6 min. hardening fix - 30 min final wash in standing water, dump and replace every 5 min.
    Randy, all this is fine, thanks for sharing! If a discussion is primarily about technical issues and the pictures are few and secondary to the technical discussion, then it should go into the Darkroom: Film subforum. But no problem at all with including basic details with your picture posts - we know plenty of people are interested in that and find it helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    It is a doll, right?
    Yes Will...but I can't say that around her...
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg