Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calumet 90mm: f8 vs f4.5

Re: Calumet 90mm: f8 vs f4.5

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dunn View Post
    Thanks for all your help. I recently found out that the Technika IV I was considering, as a match for this lens, doesn't have a cam, so I decided to not buy the lens or the camera.
    Thanks again,
    Bob
    The IV uses the same cam as the current Master so it is very easy to send the camera and lens to the service center to have a cam cut to match your camera and lens.
    If you get a V or a Master then you only have to send the lens in for camming.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dunn View Post
    Yes, never considered the ground glass. Is a cam made specifically to an individual camera or any Technika IV.
    See my last reply.
    A cam cut for a IV will have the camera’s serial number stamped on the back of the cam and the lens focal length and serial number stamped on the top face of the cam.
    Since the V and the Master have factory zeroed gg position only the lens has to go for camming and the cams for these cameras will only have the focal length and lens serial number stamped on the top of the cam.
    A cam cut for a V or Master will couple properly, with the lens it was cammed to on any V or Master.
    A cam cut for a IV will only couple properly with the camera and lens it was coupled to.
    While IV, V and Master cams all fit any of these cameras the IV cam is not interchangeable between different cameras and models.

You've already stated you want to shoot mountain scenery, a.k.a. landscape. There is not an absolute need for a rangefinder in this application. That being said, some people like to use the RF for focusing even in this application - but if you want to use movements you'd really want to check the GG for precision.

Between the two lenses, the f/8 one will certainly be smaller and lighter. In my opinion, that is an important distinction, that will be more important than the likely only slight difference in performance. But if you are mostly driving up to a viewpoint and snapping a photo than perhaps that doesn't matter to you.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

To me a 90mm on 4x5 feels like the 25mm lens I had on my 35mm Contax camera. A 90mm is a very popular lens for 4x5 shooters for a wide view. You probably want one if you like wide angle lenses.

You will like the brighter f/4.5 lens better for shooting but like the smaller and lighter f/8 lens better for carrying up and down the mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    You've already stated you want to shoot mountain scenery, a.k.a. landscape. There is not an absolute need for a rangefinder in this application. That being said, some people like to use the RF for focusing even in this application - but if you want to use movements you'd really want to check the GG for precision.

Between the two lenses, the f/8 one will certainly be smaller and lighter. In my opinion, that is an important distinction, that will be more important than the likely only slight difference in performance. But if you are mostly driving up to a viewpoint and snapping a photo than perhaps that doesn't matter to you.
    There is a lot of talk about the differences in weight while not telling exactly what that difference is. In Rodenstock’s case the difference in weight between the 90mm 6.8 and the 90mm 4.5 is just over 8.4 oz. for that difference you get a larger image circle, better resolution, less distortion, fall off starting further out from the center which may minimize the need for a center filter, in short-better performance.

Other differences; the 4.5 is in a 1 size shutterrather then a 0 and, as noted, overall a larger lens.

How important is 8.4 oz to you?

Half a pound.

My statement was, smaller and lighter. That's true, as you have shown with an exact figure. If you used the excuse that half a pound here and half a pound there is no big deal, suddenly instead of a 25 pound kit in a medium-sized pack, you've got a 35 pound kit in a large pack and a significant difference in overall weight and bulk. Whether or not this is important depends on the photographer and how he plans on using his gear. To answer your last question, for me, it is very important.

Besides which, you've also specified an f/6.8 lens, not f/8 as per the OP. So your comparison isn't valid anyway. Edit: My quick look at specs online shows a 90mm f/8 SA weighing another 2.5oz less. So, more like 11oz total. That's another whole lens!!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    There is a lot of talk about the differences in weight while not telling exactly what that difference is. In Rodenstock’s case the difference in weight between the 90mm 6.8 and the 90mm 4.5 is just over 8.4 oz. for that difference you get a larger image circle, better resolution, less distortion, fall off starting further out from the center which may minimize the need for a center filter, in short-better performance.

Other differences; the 4.5 is in a 1 size shutterrather then a 0 and, as noted, overall a larger lens.

How important is 8.4 oz to you?
    I fully agree with you, Bob. But there are those people who cut off the end of their toothbrush to make it lighter in their backpack!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I fully agree with you, Bob. But there are those people who cut off the end of their toothbrush to make it lighter in their backpack!
    True, but not sure that the op is one of those. If he is he probably would not be looking at buying a Technika!

Dave Karp

I had a 90mm f/4.5 Grandagon-N. It was a great lens. I found I did not use it much, not only because of its size, but because of the filter size as well. At the time, I could not afford to purchase a bunch of 82mm filters for black and white. I had one filter, if I recall. I already had lots of filters in the other sizes I might need, so they were basically free. I ended up with a 90mm f/8 Nikon. That one gets used a bit more. It takes 67mm filters and is lighter. Both are excellent lenses. If you hike with a camera, a half a pound or more can matter. A stack of 82mm black and white filters is not light either. Probably ends up being heavier than the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    True, but not sure that the op is one of those. If he is he probably would not be looking at buying a Technika!
    You make a good point there!