Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: post limitations

post limitations

In many of the post threads there are tit for tat personal arguments that do not add any value to the topic. Would it be possible to limit the number of times a user can post/reply in a given period? example 5 entries per day.

It seems to be more commons among those with high post counts and people who have pissed each other off over the years so maybe ramp it up for high volume users.

Or even a method for other users to vote down replies in such a way that once they hit a threshold the content is removed.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Re: post limitations

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    ...Or even a method for other users to vote down replies in such a way that once they hit a threshold the content is removed.
    Yeah, that's what this forum needs, mob rule. I think the probability of Tuan even considering such a mechanism is lower than my chance of winning Powerball. And I don't buy tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    I believe Sean is working on a 'ban from thread' function...
    You appear to be confused. This is the Large Format Photography Forum, not PHOTRIO.

Eric, further on reporting posts that you find, for whatever reason, obnoxious. We have some posters who I view as, um, deranged. I try not to respond to their, um, rants. When I see a rant as obnoxious and adding nothing to the discussion I report it. The moderators sometimes delete them. Consider doing the same. Cost little, sometimes yields the desired result.

So you'll know, the moderators have deleted some of my posts. That's their job. Moderating.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Eric, further on reporting posts that you find, for whatever reason, obnoxious. We have some posters who I view as, um, deranged. I try not to respond to their, um, rants. When I see a rant as obnoxious and adding nothing to the discussion I report it. The moderators sometimes delete them. Consider doing the same. Cost little, sometimes yields the desired result.

So you'll know, the moderators have deleted some of my posts. That's their job. Moderating.
    Like they say about cops; Where is a moderator when you need 'em!?!!! :/0

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    [...] So you'll know, the moderators have deleted some of my posts. That's their job. Moderating.
    It might be interesting if Mods could orphan objectionable posts along with the Mods' comments. Read only. No reply allowed.

(I'm studying Blockchain orphans. Forgive.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    It might be interesting if Mods could orphan objectionable posts along with the Mods' comments. Read only. No reply allowed.

(I'm studying Blockchain orphans. Forgive.)
    One of the moderators' jobs is to cut off interminable pointless wrangles. At the risk of resurrecting one, an example is discussions about the true meaning of medium format. For a while, as fast as one thread was locked another arose, often as a comment on a post in the locked thread. I'm not sure we need more of that.

Some members make valuable contributions to this site. Limiting their number of posts per day might prevent them from sharing their expertise.

In many of the post threads there are tit for tat personal arguments that do not add any value to the topic. Would it be possible to limit the number of times a user can post/reply in a given period? example 5 entries per day.

It seems to be more commons among those with high post counts and people who have pissed each other off over the years so maybe ramp it up for high volume users.

Or even a method for other users to vote down replies in such a way that once they hit a threshold the content is removed.
    Sure, there are back-and-forth exchanges in many threads that sometimes get out of hand. IM-HO, the moderators have done an exemplary job judiciously deleting when things went too far. Other than that, I don't see the need for any kind of arbitrary limitations on posts or participation in the fora here. After all, these are conversations and lively exchanges are to be desired, not censured.

If you don't want to read specific posts or exchanges that you think add no value to the topic, just scroll past them. It takes a small fraction of a second to do so. But do leave them for the others who may find them interesting, enlightening or simply entertaining unless they violate the forum rules on decorum.

(BTW, being off-topic doesn't violate the forum rules as far as I understand.)

Best,

Doremus

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Self-control is often a better solution than more rules and harsher policing. Stop looking if it’s annoying.

You're looking at this the wrong way. The only person here who is responsible for your comfort in reading the forum posts... is you. It's not the fault of the posters, even the insanely frequent posters. It's your fault for reading their posts, and it's absolutely your fault for responding to them (don't feed the trolls!).

That's why the forum has this nifty tool called the Ignore List. You get to it from Settings...Edit Ignore List. I've got a number of people who's posts I just don't care to read on my Ignore List. Really, I'm just here to learn, and to help. Other people who appear to be here to assert their (real or imagined) authority or to argue with others, aren't helping my mission (it's *my* mission, not theirs). So I just ignore them. Do not feed the trolls, etc.

Without this feature most forums would be intolerable. For me anyway.

Bruce Watson