Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the great shots? Am I a cynicist or a realist?

lab black

Re: Where are the great shots? Am I a cynicist or a realist?

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw
    Don't know if it makes any difference but I think you have inspired many others. "Jesus at 100", I will never forget; you have given Jesus a tiny bit of immortality and that is a kindness.

-------

+1

Jim,

Your 2D, 3B and "Jesus at 100" profoundly transformed how I discover and tell my stories.
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Heard them all. GIVEN them all.
    Jim, at this point, you might consider pursuing your passion just as before, but skip the step where you load film in the film holders.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Hi Jim,

One of the major highlights for my trip to the US in 05/06 was when Kevin and I drive over the Sierra Nevada range along Highway 120, made the mandatory stop at the Whoa Nellie, skirted around Mono Lake and traveled out to Tonopah. Here in Australia we have many similar small towns that fade and are forgotten.

Just a suggestion: Have an exhibition in Tonopah. Hire a space or convince the local council to get on board. Call it "Our Tonopah" in the flyers and advertising and set Tonopah as a definite project, detailing the history and current people, a documentary but with the Galli touch. I appreciate you have many images in and around Tonapah but shoot fresh material as well so this is a "new" approach and project. Cover history and the current Tonopah daily life and personalise it with people.

Set yourself a definite time frame and work towards it. I would allow 12 months or whenever your Spring occurs as it is comfortable for people to get out to see the work.

Just a thought,

Steve

I have been following this thread since it began, and thinking of how to add some useful ideas. It's possible that mine won't be useful!

Jim, I don't think it should bother you that you have little interest in making another image of sea stacks on the Oregon coast. Oregon may simply just not be "Galli Country" when it comes to making images. All of us know of things we tend not to photograph. On one subject, I have the opposite problem. There's a nice lighthouse on the point at the state park here in town. I've taken many walks with my late wife along that beach in the past 20 years at all hours of the day (usually carrying small format cameras), and I have yet to take a satisfying photograph of the lighthouse. I did enjoy the walks with her though. That is sufficient for me.

I've gone through your website--again. From my perspective, you excel in two areas: making super images and in using a good, clear writing style. The combination of those two talents is noteworthy. You are a story teller melding images and words into a single whole. That is your great strength. You always share with us your enjoyment of photography.

Now, I don't have recommendations for how to fire up your interest in making images. But I do thank you for what you have done for mine, and I hope you keep it up!

Keith

45-57-617

Mr Jim Galli,

I'm not the only one who has been inspired or uplifted by what you've bought to the forum. My life is actually a teeny bit better because of you - believe it or not. Its a rather patsy thing to say I know but ... it is probably one of the main things we achieve. The bits of joy or wisdom in others' lives.

How is it for classical composers !! They work on things to never have them played or only played after they're dead !! At least with pictures they can be seen by others as soon as they are dry !

I feel very much the same as Jim too so this post is for me and Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post

Suppose that I'm going to Yosemite and have never been before. Then a group of photographers would be be ideal for asking where to go and what to see.....
    AND..there it is

my next project.. I'mma going to drag my 8x10 out to Yosemite.. set up in /near the meadow... and photograph tourists in front of a painted backdrop..of Yosemite (with real Yosemite showing on the sides and top)

yup..might take me awhile to organize this..but..thanks guys!

serious BTW

What a bunch of sweet folks! Thank you all.

As to a book, I doubt I have a book in me. But perhaps Merg would have said the same thing, and then still later he made an absolutely fantastic one. I highly recommend a copy of Merg's book to anyone needing some visual refreshment.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

What a bunch of sweet folks! Thank you all.

As to a book, I doubt I have a book in me. But perhaps Merg would have said the same thing, and then still later he made an absolutely fantastic one. I highly recommend a copy of Merg's book to anyone needing some visual refreshment.
    Jim, I would say do a book as well. You have the stories and the images. Merg is an inspiration for me as are you and I agree with you on Merg's book. Great visually and wonderful stories. I have a book well underway and it will be something very different than anything that has been done so far. Well at least as far as I can tell.

As to a book, I doubt I have a book in me.
    make a Blurb book - they are easy to do, relatively cheap (you can make one offs) and it is cool to see your stuff in print .. I've done about 6 or 7 just to have stuff organized into a theme and in one place.
    Of course they will end up at the Goodwill eventually too..but maybe someone who will appreciate them will buy them and it will inspire them to take up large format and then their negs will go to the dump as well eventually ..wait....

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    AND..there it is

my next project.. I'mma going to drag my 8x10 out to Yosemite.. set up in /near the meadow... and photograph tourists in front of a painted backdrop..of Yosemite (with real Yosemite showing on the sides and top)

yup..might take me awhile to organize this..but..thanks guys!

serious BTW
    Tourists can be a lot of fun. This was with the 5x7 (Yosemite Valley Tour...silver gelatin contact print):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ValleyTour.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China