Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axial Tilt Field 8x10 Suggestions

Axial Tilt Field 8x10 Suggestions

Ok so this one is simple yet difficult I'm looking for folding 8x10 cameras with axial tilt. The cheaper the better!

I'm familiar with Chamonix, Canham, Deardorff, and all the other big names, (I'm open to new or old its all about price/value). Right now it seems like VDS at $2,000 for a fairly light folding 8x10 with necessary movements is the leader right now, but am hoping to better that price.

I've crossed the Intrepid 8x10 off as it seems to have both user issues and long term durability problems, which was disappointing because I wouldn't be writing this post otherwise, at that $500 price point.

Anyone have any suggestions, new or old, heavy or light, just cheap, folding, and an axial tilt 8x10 that I could have missed?

Re: Axial Tilt Field 8x10 Suggestions

A Toyo 810G? Not a folding camera, but it can be compact when the standards are on a 150mm or 250mm rail. You do have to add a rail for actual use. Not light at ~8 kilos. But you can find good used examples at a reasonable price. I sold one recently for 150,000 JPY. And it has axial tilts.

Kumar

One wonders what kind of "long term durability problems" have been shown in a product that's only been made for a couple of weeks. :-( Perhaps you are listening to the wong people!
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Back in the 1990s I had a Burk and James in 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back. This is not a "field camera" like a Zone VI or Deardorff. It folded up well enough to pack conveniently and did have axial front tilt. It was hell-for-stout as it is said here in Texas and did everything I needed. Didn't cost too much either.

Mine was 5x7, but they were also made in 8x10. They come up in auctions from time to time.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    One wonders what kind of "long term durability problems" have been shown in a product that's only been made for a couple of weeks. :-( Perhaps you are listening to the wong people!

Quote Originally Posted by photographyraptor View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions, new or old, heavy or light, just cheap, folding, and an axial tilt 8x10 that I could have missed?
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ghlight=Dperez
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Shen Hao has both base and axial front tilt.

I'm a happy user of the Intrepid 8x10 and I'm not sure what's not to like if one's concern is on price. Sure it doesn't give geared shift and tilt, and its finishing isn't peer to Chamonix, but at least it gives me an opportunity to shoot 8x10 on occasions which would otherwise be undoable with my Sinar P2 outfit weighing 8kg camera-alone. I guess there's no one-stop solution when it comes to gears.

New Orleans, LA

Kodak Master KMV

Intrepid Camera

Quote Originally Posted by photographyraptor View Post

I've crossed the Intrepid 8x10 off as it seems to have both user issues and long term durability problems, which was disappointing because I wouldn't be writing this post otherwise, at that $500 price point.
    Hello, Max from Intrepid here, fair enough if you have decided against an Intrepid Camera and I wont give you the sales pitch on here, however I think the problems you have heard about were an issue with a small number of the first batch, all sorted now, just involved shipping a new part to 6 people. As for long term durability issues, it is hard to say for a new product but we have had some of them out in the field for over a year and they are still working perfectly, importantly we also have not stepped too far away from our successful 4x5 design some of which are 4 years old now and showing no problems (I appreciate this is nothing for a large format camera but it is a good sign). Let me know if you have any questions about the camera and good luck in your search, http://www.stenopeika.com/ is probably worth a look.

Thanks, Max