Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attaching bellows to frame

Attaching bellows to frame

I've got my 8x10 camera built, and I'm at the point of needing to know how to attach the bellows to the bellows frame. Does the bellows pass through the center of the frame, and attach on the back? Or does the bellows wrap around the frame? What's the most common approach? This is really killing me!

Thanks

Re: Attaching bellows to frame

Often the front wraps around the outside of the frame and the rear inside the frame.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Thanks, Jon. What's the best way to attach the bellows to the frame? I've tried rubber cement with limited success.

Usually bellows attach to the back first (often attached directly to the rear frame), but a inner frame is often on the front that can screw to the F/S...

Frames can limit bellows compression, so look before you leap...

Ask more questions...

Good luck,

Steve K

I think E6000 glue would work and the front frame being screwed to the front standard would hold well. The rear frame often has tacks or screws inside to help hold the bellows on.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Curtis, when I made my bag bellows I attached the bellows to the bellows frame (which attached to the standard, modular camera) I used a type of contact cement. Pliobond should do as well.

FWIW, I made a bag bellows for a Cambo. Cambo's own bellows use cement and with strips of metal to attach the bellows to the frame. The sandwich is bellows frame, bellows, strip of metal. The strips of metal are held on by screws that pass through the bellows fabric and go into threaded holes in the frame.

Curtis, when I made my bag bellows ...

... shortly hereafter, I wrote an article explaining in details my adventures when glueing bellows fabric to metal frames.
    http://www.galerie-photo.com/bag-bellows.html

Thanks, Emmanuel.

Dave Karp

I once visited Jim from Western Bellows. He was using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. I saw him spray a bunch into a glass container and apply it with a paint brush. He used binder clips to hold the bellows to the frame. Of all the bellows on all of the cameras I have had, his was the best.

Curtis you did not mention the type/brand of camera. My Toyo 810 did not require any glue. It was all screws and a pressure plate. My Kodak Master View was even more interesting. One side of the bellows was attached wrapped from the inside and the adjacent side was from the outside. The same was for the front and back. I guess Kodak did that so that the pleats are equally stressed all the way around. Where as if you mount it on the outside all the way around, one side will have more stress than the adjacent side. I used contact cement. you only get one shot at doing it right with contact cement, once it is stuck together that is where it stays.
    I saw a video on YouTube where the maker of the walker camera used what looked like a double sided tape probably the stuff used to attach automobile trim.

Good luck, I know it is scary even when you are handy. Not much room for error.
    --Robert