Thread: How does this style of Rittreck View film back work?

How does this style of Rittreck View film back work?

So there seems to be two styles of Rittreck View film backs available in at least the 5x7 and Whole Plate sizes. One looks like a modern spring-type back where you slide the film holder in under the ground glass and spring pressure keeps the film holder pressed against the film back. The other style looks like this:

It looks like the ground glass latches in place and then you swing it out of the way to put a film holder in place. However, I can't figure out how the film holder is supposed to stay in place for the exposure.

Anyone know?

Re: How does this style of Rittreck View film back work?

These backs are for bookform plate holders. These were available in half- and whole-plate sizes, as well as custom sizes. Film sheaths were also available. See the photos linked in this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ole-Plate-6x10

Unlike modern plate holders, these holders can hold two plates or films.

Kumar

Is this the sort of holder that would fit the wooden Rittreck 5x7 backs?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cassette-pl...oAAOSwySVaRCvB

The holders in the eBay listing are not the bookform type. Bookform holders open up like books when the brass latches are released. They also have notches that lock into the back. All these details are seen clearly in my photos. The eBay holders are the slide-in type, and will not fit the usual Rittreck backs. There were normal slide-in type backs made for the Rittreck, but these are for film only, and the film plane of the listed holders may or may not match.

Kumar

A bit late to this thread, but FWIW, the back shown in the initial post is not a Rittreck back - it's a back from an older camera attached to a mounting plate to allow it to fit the Rittreck.

Oren, glad you brought up that. In all these years, I have only seen Rittreck branded film backs, never any plate backs. All the plate backs are attached to mounting plates. But I believe Rittreck made these plates specifically for this purpose.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    But I believe Rittreck made these plates specifically for this purpose.
    Could be!