Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping from Prontor Professional to Copal shutter

Question Swapping from Prontor Professional to Copal shutter

Hello there,

I know there might be threads about this, but I could not find any with a proper answer.

I've recently purchased a Rodenstock W 150mm f5.6 mounted on Prontor Professional 1, which I don't really like. I also have a spare almost mint modern Copal 1 shutter and I'd like to mount the lens on this shutter.

Does the lens need calibration for aperture scale?

Many thanks!

Re: Swapping from Prontor Professional to Copal shutter

What you need is to have the correct aperture scale. Your camera store may be able to order it for you from Rodenstock, if they still have that scale. Otherwise most camera repair shops can make you a scale.
    Why don’t you like the PP shutter? It was one of the best mechanical shutters ever made and was the best self cocking mechanical shutter!

Thanks for replying Bob

I'll ask my repair shop whether they're able to make it or not.

I know they're the best for many reasons, but probably is just because I've got all the other lenses mounted on Copals and got very used to them.

Opening the lens through a cable release is quite annoying and you need a really strong cable to actually take the final photograph

Just a matter of taste I suppose

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by scerto View Post
    Thanks for replying Bob

I'll ask my repair shop whether they're able to make it or not.

I know they're the best for many reasons, but probably is just because I've got all the other lenses mounted on Copals and got very used to them.

Opening the lens through a cable release is quite annoying and you need a really strong cable to actually take the final photograph

Just a matter of taste I suppose

Thanks again!
    Why not look for the remote control cable/switch for the shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why not look for the remote control cable/switch for the shutter?
    didn't know about that. Any advice/link would be appreciated

thanks

I use the remote control. It is a double cable release which ends in a handgrip with a rotary switch and a plunger. The switch has three settings;
    1 shutter closed ready to fire
    2 shutter open at set aperture
    3 shutter open at full aperture
    Google Prontor Professional and you should find a picture. I think SK Grimes site had catalogue pictures. The device allows you to get the best out of these shutters.
    Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
    I use the remote control. It is a double cable release which ends in a handgrip with a rotary switch and a plunger. The switch has three settings;
    1 shutter closed ready to fire
    2 shutter open at set aperture
    3 shutter open at full aperture
    Google Prontor Professional and you should find a picture. I think SK Grimes site had catalogue pictures. The device allows you to get the best out of these shutters.
    Alex.

Thanks Alex

I was just on their website and was searching on ebay for the remote. Not much on there actually. Not sure whether it would be easier to get an aperture scale from Rodenstock or seeking a prontor remore control. The idea of previewing DoF is quite intriguing, but these items seem to be rare at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by scerto View Post
    didn't know about that. Any advice/link would be appreciated

thanks
    There were two versions. The basic one was handheld and the other mounted into the bottom rear of a Linhof monorail camera, both work the same way. A cable was built in that went from the controller to the shutter socket for the shutter control. It has three positions. Lever up shutter is closed and aperture is set to shooting aperture. Middle positions shutter is open and aperture is set to taking aperture to select depth of field. Bottom position aperture is wide open for composing. A hole in the top of the controller accepts a long Prontor cable release to fire the shutter. The whole system fits easily in your hand.

Combine the remote with the optional aperture control sticks and the shutter speed selector and all shutter functions can be controlled from the ground glass position. If your camera has an auto back cable socket then this can also be combined with the controller to automatically close the shutter when a film holder is inserted.

On top of all these features the PP had less mechanical vibration within the shutter then any other mechanical shutter.
    Domyoumhave the original PPmor the later PP S version with disengageable click stops?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    There were two versions. The basic one was handheld and the other mounted into the bottom rear of a Linhof monorail camera, both work the same way. A cable was built in that went from the controller to the shutter socket for the shutter control. It has three positions. Lever up shutter is closed and aperture is set to shooting aperture. Middle positions shutter is open and aperture is set to taking aperture to select depth of field. Bottom position aperture is wide open for composing. A hole in the top of the controller accepts a long Prontor cable release to fire the shutter. The whole system fits easily in your hand.

Combine the remote with the optional aperture control sticks and the shutter speed selector and all shutter functions can be controlled from the ground glass position. If your camera has an auto back cable socket then this can also be combined with the controller to automatically close the shutter when a film holder is inserted.

On top of all these features the PP had less mechanical vibration within the shutter then any other mechanical shutter.
    Domyoumhave the original PPmor the later PP S version with disengageable click stops?
    Thanks Bob

i was looking them up and they seem hard to find, but I will try to get one.

I do have the PP version, not the PP S

You could try eBay German site. There are at least 3 on there just now. Search ‘prontor professional ‘.
    Alex