Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider Super Angulon 72mm

Re: Schneider Super Angulon 72mm

I guess it comes down to utility of lens and how it renders the subtlties in color, sharpness, contrast, etc. I am leaning towards the Schneider lens and appropriate center filter.

One thing about the 72mm XL is that on some cameras, with some types of movements, you may be restricted more than a smaller lens simply because of the front element size impacting the side of the front standard! I believe last time I used my 72mm XL on 4x5 I couldn't quite get enough front tilt with my Linhof MT due to this issue.

I would sell the 72XL in a heartbeat and get something smaller if not for shooting 6x17...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I guess it comes down to utility of lens and how it renders the subtlties in color, sharpness, contrast, etc.
    And how you define each.

Camera movements with the Schneider 72mm SAXL is mostly a non-isssue on a Sinar Norma, P, F with a bag bellows. The most demanding movement would be shift/rise with swing/tilts (over the decades of using the 72mm SAXL, swing/tilt has been never more than about five degrees) being much less of a limitation. As previously mentioned, field camera are the most affected by these limitations.

Do know this lens while not that heavy, it is a whopper.

Bernice

For what it’s worth, see http://www.tomwestbrook.com/Photography/lf_lenses.html for an image with this lens showing an un-doctored photo with and without the IVb center Filter. It is a nice lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Westbrook View Post
    For what it’s worth, see http://www.tomwestbrook.com/Photography/lf_lenses.html for an image with this lens showing an un-doctored photo with and without the IVb center Filter. It is a nice lens.
    Nice demonstration. For my digital work I use an IRIX 15mm which has a 95mm thread on the front. That is a whapper of a lens.

The 72 SA XL is a great lens, but unless you shot 5x7, you will not see any benefit with it compared with the rest of 75 mm lenses from the rest of the big four makers. This lens requires an enormous center filter which is 112 mm wide in the front, which is a problem if you want to use a polarizing or a correction filter on top. This center filter is very rare to find and expensive.
    I have both Grandagon-N 75/4,5 and Nikkor SW 75/4,5. Both are superb lenses. The Nikon is a bit contrastier and saturates colors a tad more. The Nikkor reaches maximum image circle (200mm) at f/16, just covers 5x7 with no movements, and can use the Rodenstock 67/86 centerfilters.
    Rodenstock made 3 67/86 centerfilters. the 0,45 with a 1,5 stops exposure factor, no matter the is marked 4x on the rim. The 0,6 with a 2 stops factor and the last one, which is still in production with a factor of 2,5 stops.
    A center filter is a must for a 75mm lens if you shot chromes. The factor of the filter depends on your taste. I have all 3 and I like best the 2X factor for the 75. The 2,5X, recommended for Apo Grandagon lenses 35, 45 and 55 offers a full correction at maximum shift with a 75, and I like a bit of vigneting.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of also shooting 5x7 as well hence the 72mm. But the cost of Nikkor and the Grandagon are about same so still another choice. I like contrast and more saturation doesn't hurt. Center filtrts sre something I am just getting into. They could also work for my digital photography as well since most of my landscapes are in the range of 15-24 mm

How much tilt can it handle on 4x5 format?
    You can tilt-swing any amount you want, the 4x5 size always will fit in the illumination cone, this is for rear tilt-swing.

with 200mm circle:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tilt.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	173689

For front tilt-swing you may soon need to perfrom rise-shift to place the 4x5 negative inside the illumination cone, if angling in the 4x5 diagonal plane (a tilt-swing combination), the worst case, you may need to perfrom rise-shift after slight tilt-shift.

But as you see in the sketch this depends on bellows draw...

it's time to put catia at work

given your background I'd recommend you to play a bit (10min) with the cad soft, it's an straight way to pre-visualize camera and cone limitations

Decisions are not easy. . But for 1/2 to 1/3 price of Schneider, the Nikkor is looking pretty good.
    The nikon is also excellent, but I'd investigate about corner performance depending on aperture to compare. The availability of (expensive) center filters may be another factor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tilt 2.jpg  

Catia V5 sucks. Lol. I prefer V4. I have decided on the Schneider. Much room for shifting and tilting thru 5x7. But will mostly live on the 4x5. Nice sketches.